any of you guys raised a guitar nut for slide guitar?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

George

any of you guys raised a guitar nut for slide guitar?

Post by George »

is it just a case of knocking the nut out and gluing a few bits of wood (match sticks?) under it?

there's these things, but they'd really jack it up and there's only one very wide string spacing..

i'd still like to be able to finger a few notes
cur

Post by cur »

maybe just raise your bridge higher, square up your saddles and if need be, loosen the truss rod a bit. but to answer you question, no I have not.

George

Post by George »

i've raised the bridge, but the truss rod is a good idea.

the nut is cut really low for teh shredz, so even with a high bridge it gets a bit too low below the 5th fret.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

put one of these in:
then adjust it to the height you want
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I play slide but I've never done this. Having said that, there are guitars that I don' think I would attempt slide on because the action's so low. Instead I have high action guitars for slide and such and low ones for noodling.
cur

Post by cur »

Fakir Mustache wrote:put one of these in:
then adjust it to the height you want
dafuqisdat?

George

Post by George »

yeah where's the link lol

looks like a ballache to install, probably by screws?
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

do an robroe setup

strings a half inch off the fretboard
run 13's
wound 3rd

i'm sure he has a video somewhere.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Just a pull a Gary Rosington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) and stick a screwdriver under the strings.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Sloan wrote:Just a pull a Gary Rosington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) and stick a screwdriver under the strings.
I believe Thurston Moore & Lee Ranaldo also pull that trick from time to time.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

it does the trick. i lost my slide a while ago so i dont even have anything setup for slide
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

just do a pic search for "adjustable nut".
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Sloan wrote:Just a pull a Gary Rosington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) and stick a screwdriver under the strings.
Nice. A screwdriver would look awesome, if it isn't too heavy or stick out too far. I like the idea of a handle. I wonder if they ever move it around like a capo.
Yell Like Hell
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Whereas Rossington did it to jack the strings higher for slide, SY generally stick screwdrivers and drumsticks under their strings to act as the new nut/bridge for pingity-clang applications. Rossington actually switched to using a piece of thick gauge electrical hookup wire, and says he doesn't actually need anything under there anymore because he's gotten better at slide, he just keeps doing it during performances of Free Bird for sentimental reasons because he always did back in the day.
The wire method would be a little less risky to your fingerboard wood/neck finish than sliding screwdrivers around under the first fret but would muffle open strings... which would all be out of tune anyway because you've divided the strings in an unnatural way.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"