Cheap ceramic single coils pups rule

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

61fury

Cheap ceramic single coils pups rule

Post by 61fury »

Played two of my "office" guitars the other day , neither modified, a Squier Strat Mini and a knock off Tele, both of which I assume have the cheap ceramic SC's. They sounded great through my Orange Micro Crush, just perfect with focused sharp distortion. Really I can't describe how great they sounded. These guitars have been around awhile, I usually play acoustically in my office but I just fixed my Micro Crush . I haven't had an amp in my office for a long time
The GFS humbuckers I installed on my other two guitars sound like crap in comparison. They slur the notes, the sound is much less focused, muddy of course, boomy and much too nasal as well. The Retrotrons in my Epi LP sound better than the Li'l Puncher blade in my Telecaster, but neither of them sounded as good as those cheap ceramic pups . I'd say the Li'l Puncher is the worst. The Li'l Puncher is going to be ditched for a cheap ceramic Tele bridge pup . The Retrotrons will be replaced one day by humbucker sized P90's
I'm still the noob so I always went for HB's with high resistance because of teh kurdtz and his super distortion Dimarzios. And I have never been around or owned any higher quality HB's. I've noodled on some at guitar stores . Matter of fact the only guitar I remember sounding great was a Telecaster with P90 pups
I am so impressed that the humbucker

is being replaced with the cheap ceramic pup the guitar came with (8.2 K resistance)

I never played it in it's original configuration, it was just some cheap Harmony crap that I bought for the neck. The usual inch thick body and mile high action. It's been a great guitar to learn on though, I did my first fret level on it, also made the pickguard with the humbucker mod ( it had two SC's on it). Because this is a crap guitar it got the leftover cheap Epi humbucker.

So I am learning and I seem to hate humbuckers at the moment.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

In my Squier Bullet strat there are some cheap ceramic single coils and they are the most ice picking pickups I've played. Maybe with great distortion they sound good, but cleans and overdriven tone are terrible. I play the guitar through a cheap Behringer amp with treble at 2, middle at 5 and bass at 12, with that setings it sounds ok.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
61fury

Post by 61fury »

I can't really play that well so cleans aren't really an interest for me. I noodle a lot and mainly play unplugged so that's why it took me so long to notice the cheap pick ups. Jumping into this hobby without knowing much I happily replaced pups etc just because.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I can't stand humbuckers. Single coils all day.

I've been considering fixing up my old Squier Affinity Tele which I bought in 2006, and hasn't been played since at least 2011. The pickups are one of the things I definitely don't think I'll be changing.
61fury

Post by 61fury »

Yeah, when I said Telecaster I meant my Squier Affinity Telecaster. It's way fun to mod stuff that isn't worth anything, no pressure, no wories.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

61fury wrote:I can't really play
So do I. Stock pickups in Affinity Tele are ok as I remember.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
61fury

Post by 61fury »

OK, now that everything is wired and strung up it turns out I am enjoying all my humbuckers and single coils. I'm almost always wrong (emoticon).
Found a pack of 10-52's and stuck that on the cheap thing. Big ass low E doesn't seem to boom when you hit it by accident. I guess it vibrates less.. Back to my office guitars tomorrow.
61fury

Post by 61fury »

Mini Strat the best, followed by the knock off Tele then the Harmony pictured above, then the humbuckers. Man that Mini Strat is sweet.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

For the kind of tone I find most versatile---not your typical "Strat" sound, admittedly---I have to agree. These cheap things that came in a no-name knockoff Strat are some of the best-sounding Strat pickups I've owned. Unbelievable.