picked up a $20 mandolin

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

picked up a $20 mandolin

Post by Nick »

From Goodwill. It's just a Rogue, they have them on sale for $46 brand new on musiciansfriend right now, and this one needs new strings and a tuner ferrule so maybe it wasn't the steal of the century, but for $20 I couldn't turn it down. I've always wanted to learn and Lauren having played violin in school has been mando-curious as well.

Other than the nasty strings on it, it looks to be in great shape.

Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

It's similar to mine, just without the pickup. They're surprisingly decent little guys... Great to start with if nothing else. I have found it decently intonated and easy to play, sound is appropriately bright.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

New strings are on it now. Used some lemon oil on the neck, cleaned it with a damp cloth. Looks like new and plays decent.

Now I have the problem of having a new instrument but not knowing any songs to learn on it. So far I just know Losing My Religion by REM....

Looking up some Decemberists songs that have mando in them. Any suggestions are welcome :D
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Was kinda my problem too.
I picked around at getting the solo in Joel Plaskett's She Made a Wreck Outta Me
[youtube][/youtube]

and the Smiths' Please, Please, Please Let me get What I Want
[youtube][/youtube]

I then tried playing along with guitar bits in other songs to get a feel for note locations. Then just started learning some chords and shit and writing my own stuff. I don't even know many songs for guitar or bass, really, this is just kind of how I approach shit :P
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Chords are just upside down guitar chords
XY