So today I bought a...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

weirdddd
dots wrote:incesticide
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

and why did the dude leave the plastic cover on the bridge pickup? it's like leaving the plastic on the couch. WHY????
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

^Don't worry, pickup plastic has been removed! And Chinese people often to leave the plastic on the couch, too :D

Yeah, it's strange how this guitar is in near mint condition but feels uncared for. My guess is that it was sitting in shops/storage for the past ten years. They shop "cleaned" the guitar for 15 minutes before letting me buy it. It even came with the original Fender tag on the headstock, but the tag was badly creased.

I think I was wrong about the perloid flaking. Seems just to be a slight irregularity.

But more importantly... Wtf is up with this gap?

Last edited by singlepup on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It looks like the saddles have been pushed aside and instead of having lots of little gaps you've got one big one. Just shift 'em with your fingers. When they line up with the saddle screws you know it's set right.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Good thought, but I've fiddled with the saddles quite a bit now and there's still a disproportionally large gap in the center.

Ah well, I'll figure something out. Other than that, so happy with this guitar.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

George wrote:Image
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

George wrote:Image
such a bad design!
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I thought they were wonky as fuck when they were released but I've warmed to them over the years. Was probably put off by the whole Kurdtz thing too. Quite like wonky now.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Singlepickup, didn't you have a Staytrem bridge in your Jazzmaster? Might be mixing you up with someone else. If you did though, could you drop that in?
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I do have a Staytrem, but it's for Squier models... 9.5" radius. I just sold it and am going to order a 7.25" Staytrem. I think that's the best solution.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Of course, forgot the VM JM was 9.5".
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Staytrem 7.25" ordered. I am John's first customer in Taiwan, I believe.

Yes, the Staytrem will drop right in :D
visceral

Post by visceral »

so how are you liking the jagstang? i have a jagstang project coming up after i finish my duo sonic project.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Loving it! Still haven't worked all the kinks out, but I'm not lying when I say the neck is perfect . I am a Jag-Stang convert.

What sort of project are you planning? Going to build a Warmoth J-S?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i have argued this for years.

A MUSTANG SOUNDS LIKE A MUSTANG BECAUSE OF ALL THE PARTS TOGETHER ACTING AS ONE ON THE MUSTANG. THE GAPS IN THE SADDLES MAKE IT SOUND LIKE A MUSTANG. THE RATTLES YOU GET SOUND LIKE MUSTANG RATTLES. IT'S THE MUSTANG SOUND. IF YOU FIX ALL THAT SHIT IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A MUSTANG ANYMORE, IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING ELSE.

you cant go to the car dealer and be like GIVE ME THAT FORD FIESTA IT LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME!!!! then after you buy it say WHAT THE FUCK THIS THING IS SMALL IM GOING TO TAKE A HAMMER TO THE WINDOWS SO I CAN STRETCH OUT.

the ford fiesta is a small car on purpose. they built it that way. if you cant get with it, get something else. don't go fucking it up
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Yeah, I know your position on this Rob... and I agree to a certain extent. I'm not going to put a TOM on my J-S or anything like that. Just going to try a slightly upgraded Mustang bridge to see if it works better for me.

I don't mind rattles in theory. I just don't want piercing noise when I'm using crazy delays. Not sure how things will sound when I get a chance to play outside of the house through a cranked amp. The upgraded bridge is like an insurance policy: I may need it or I may not. Luckily it holds its value really well.

But ultimately I'm more of a Duo/Musicmaster guy. Will be headed back into that realm next. Just couldn't resist the J-S.
visceral

Post by visceral »

singlepickup24 wrote:Loving it! Still haven't worked all the kinks out, but I'm not lying when I say the neck is perfect . I am a Jag-Stang convert.

What sort of project are you planning? Going to build a Warmoth J-S?
Well I def was considering a Warmoth body but I have an original J-S neck and I was thinking how itd be great if I could catch a fully loaded J-S body on ebay and low and behold...less than a week later a fiesta red one popped up haha...And I bought it. I should have the body tomorrow actually. I will start a build thread once I receive the body, I already have every single mod/repair in mind. My neck needs a little love cuz original owner swapped out the vintage tuners for some mim standard strat tuners and didnt line them up properly so Im gonna fill-n-fix that etc. I just have to finish my DUO SONIC build before I start actually ordering parts for the J-S. I figured this is like a rescue mission and Im going to slightly modify since both items are slightly rough etc. Otherwise I couldnt bring myself to modifying a clean original.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ok so i made a demo A/B with jagstang/sjag1 with my 1965 mustang.

its over 10 mintus long and 1.4 gigs

ill see if Youtube will even let me upload it.

it does feature a 30 second song that i made up on the spot called
GEORGE WILL NOT REST TIL WERE DONE HAVING FUN
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i think its going to work but its going to take 206 minutes to upload how ever the fuck long that is.

i don't suggest busting out the microwave popcorn this instant. it may burn
visceral

Post by visceral »

^ I just watched the video ... and I had FUN \m/