Project Duo Sonic (93' mim) Warning: Arctic/Mint PG XD

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

singlepickup24 wrote: 1) You can put a 25.5" neck on there without moving the bridge. You will need to make some bridge adjustments, but it will play OK. It may not intonate perfectly higher up the neck... but I wouldn't worry too much. A Strat neck should work fine.
I have a Strat neck on my old MIM Duo and it's A-OK,
visceral

Post by visceral »

Singlepickup thank you sir for the clarification! I eventually figured it out but I think its nice to have a finite post here for the MIM Duo's.

And Thomas I did measure and I can post the pics sometime tonight. I think it could be done if one were to A. use a different style bridge from Stew Mac etc or B. Moving the bridge forward and cut a custom pickguard and relocate the pickup positioning.

I may eventually buy a Jagmaster and have a custom 24" conversion neck(s) made based on its scale/design but that'll be down the road, I already have more money that the guitar is worth wrapped up in mods so I figure I'll invest the $$$ in my next few projects for now.

\m/ Thank you for interest in helping and info etc this site has been very helpful. I just failed with the neck info cuz Im skimming thru lots of pages at wee' hours in the morning.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

No problem! So I'm guessing you're going to stick with the original neck? Post pics when the project is complete!
visceral

Post by visceral »

Thomas wrote:
visceral wrote:So apparently this Jagstang neck I have wont fit, I thought the 24" scale neck would work on a Duo Sonic without moving the bridge etc. But Im wrong. Can anyone verify what neck will actually work? Like will a Strat neck work without moving the bridge back?
Did you put it on and measure it?
Just poopiez and gigglez I measured and it could be done with a lil dremel action on the pickguard and moving the bridge forward but that would probably require filling the original bridge holes, repainting body (if it were me), and possibly cutting a custom pickguard all together to relocate the pickups positioning. All in all if I end up swapping a neck I will snag a MIM STRAT 25.5" neck and do it over going all out for the 24" otherwise one day maybe I'll get a custom 24"conversion neck like the Jagmaster. Then again a lot of work for an MIM...right?

^ crappy pic

side view^

^ better top view
visceral

Progress: Long overdue

Post by visceral »

This isn't finished I am yet to do the MusicMaster Bridge/drill thru. But here is the progress thus far!

^ New Name Reborn "Minty Fresh"

^ Headstock and new tuners

^ Fender Family and Takamine photobomb
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

I think it turned out fine! Brings back memories, my first electric was also a white ´93 DS. I sold it after three years as I concentrated more on bass for a decade, but can remember the pickguard being dodgy and bendy even when new...

Neck and body finish look great after all those years!