bass players...

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I really like my MIM jazz bass, but the abrupt taper of the tone pot makes me want to replace it and the pickups aren't quite hot enough. Other than that, it's just fine for what I need it for: home recording, as in BearBoy's case I expect.

So far I've used it through a Sansamp BDDI, but I've sort of fallen out of love with the gnarly scooped eq. They do a version of their VT bass in the same D.I. pedal format now though, so I guess I'll give that a look when I get the chance. I've always like the sound of ampeg bass amps - they have a rounded fullness that the 'modern' scooped BDDI lacks.
Johno

Post by Johno »

I have a Vista Series Musicmaster, its a great little bass and all I need at present.
Before switching to guitar I played the bass for 10 years. If i went fulltime on bass again I'd likely for for a Lakland and/or Sandberg.
Much better than anything Fender offer IMO.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Concretebadger wrote:I really like my MIM jazz bass, but the abrupt taper of the tone pot makes me want to replace it and the pickups aren't quite hot enough. Other than that, it's just fine for what I need it for: home recording, as in BearBoy's case I expect.

So far I've used it through a Sansamp BDDI, but I've sort of fallen out of love with the gnarly scooped eq. They do a version of their VT bass in the same D.I. pedal format now though, so I guess I'll give that a look when I get the chance. I've always like the sound of ampeg bass amps - they have a rounded fullness that the 'modern' scooped BDDI lacks.
Ampeg makes their own now too, which I think I'd rather have. Plus that drive circuit don't sound half bad from demos I've heard.

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Going to have a look at the sansamp bass di, looks the part and my bro in-law's band have their own PA thing so I'll get to give it a go and send it back if I don't like what I hear...
XY
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Nick wrote: Ampeg makes their own now too, which I think I'd rather have. Plus that drive circuit don't sound half bad from demos I've heard.

Effing hell, is that a Scrambler circuit built into that thing? That's pretty rad. Fuzz often sounds horrid with bass in my experience, but when you tweak it just right to get it sat in the mix it sounds SICK.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

You might look into a Line6 Bass POD as well. No longer made, but can be had for cheap used. Some will argue the sound quality isn't on part with other gear out there (in fact some say it's complete garbage), but the versatility you get with it more than makes up for it IMO.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Fuzz and bass are tricky, yeah.
That said, two of my early influences used Little Big Muffs regularly; Julie Doiron or Eric's Trip and Tara s'Appart of Elevator (to Hell/Through Hell/Through). I've always loved their sound.

That Ampeg DI box looks tits.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Been doing a bit of internet research / trawling to see what kind of DI is in my cheap price bracket and found this:

[youtube][/youtube]

The demos / reviews seem quite good, might give it a try...
XY
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I've only ever owned one bass, a Tanglewood Rebel 4k I was given for my 11th birthday. This thing looks totally gross but it sounds and feels amazing so ya know...
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

Concretebadger wrote:
Nick wrote: Ampeg makes their own now too, which I think I'd rather have. Plus that drive circuit don't sound half bad from demos I've heard.

Effing hell, is that a Scrambler circuit built into that thing? That's pretty rad. Fuzz often sounds horrid with bass in my experience, but when you tweak it just right to get it sat in the mix it sounds SICK.
Having played through this pedal when I was at NAMM I can say it's a great DI. It has a headphone out for practice purposes (which most other pedals don't have) and the scrambler sounds alright (I've never really been of fan of the classic pedal, but I am a big fan of bass fuzz).

As far as instruments go, Schecter makes good basses if you can handle the somewhat metal aesthetics. They also make some "vintage style" basses like a P style, J style, even a Tele-stingray hybrid that I really want. I play a Schecter Stilleto custom with my Dad and a P custom with Run Amok.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Me and my buddy just started a bass/drum noise rock band. I've been using his bass, it's one of those squier affinity jazz basses that came in lake placid blue, homie got a bridge cover on it too which looks awesome.

Been running my trusty acoustic mini stack head I got a few years ago. It's 100w solid state but it's SO LOUD. And I use my buddy's cabinet with it which is some old crate cab.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

This is one of my nephews basses,it's a 1967 VOX Sidewinder with built-n fuzz and a G-tuner.

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I play me a MIJ P-Bass I bought in '93 also have a couple of Stingrays and a friend's '67 Jazz Bass (vintage not reissue)

I used to have one of the 2nd generation Sansamps, I used to run one line from that and made the sound guy mic the cab too. I ran an SVT III into a 15" Cab and a V4BH in to 4 10s, split the signal one went straight to the Sans amp and SVT III, the other into a RATT pedal and the V4BH which was miced (how do you write the past tense?*)

*mic vs. mike
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

anyone know how to get this bass tone?

what kind of face does it require to make?

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

[quote="robroe"]what kind of face does it require to make?

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i love that girl so much.

she needs to get out of that shitty band and re-invent rock n roll properly with a group of dudes in jeans and tshirts that don't give a fuck about anything but rocking, doing drugs, and smashing thier gear.
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

wait, now drugs are okay? Confused
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

robroe wrote:i love that girl so much.
I still think she looks like Vulva from Spaced:

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

thats not the same person?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

YuriK wrote:wait, now drugs are okay? Confused
hard drugs are ok i very very few select situations.

like re-inventing rock n roll