jagstang / mustang / sjag1 demo for singlepickup2008

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

jagstang / mustang / sjag1 demo for singlepickup2008

Post by robroe »

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i recorded this this morning for Singlepickup24. everyone can watch.

its got tones

its got jokes

its got a song made up on the spot about George.
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

awesome.
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

btw, how different is the jag stang neck from a vista super sonic neck? I think you had both at some time. The super sonic is my fav neck ever.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

super sonic neck is has more "girth"

its hard to explain. it feels thicker at the nut....its also weird because of the headstock being upside down a little. the back is a little flatter. its not a D by any means. although it feels it after you play a jagstang.

in reality the super sonic might be more true C and the jagstang is thinner than that...

the SS neck def has more guts to it than the JS neck
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

here's the old soap sonic

[youtube][/youtube]
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Thanks so much, Rob. Just watched this vid and it's super helpful. I thought the Jag pup would be way darker in the JS. Actually sounds a lot like a Jag.

Another example of why ss.org is so awesome. When you're curious about tonez, other members go out of their way to help you.
visceral

Post by visceral »

singlepickup24 wrote:Thanks so much, Rob. Just watched this vid and it's super helpful. I thought the Jag pup would be way darker in the JS. Actually sounds a lot like a Jag.

Another example of why ss.org is so awesome. When you're curious about tonez, other members go out of their way to help you.
^ agreed Im a newb to this forum and I am still very grateful of all the info. This really helps for my next build as well.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

yeah i have been preaching the gospel for years that the jag stang isn't dark and scary sounding. you just have to put the right shit into it. if you don't want it to sound like a les paul, take the les paul part completely out, if you want it to sound more like a jaguar put a jaguar part in.

Kurdtz should have just played les pauls, but they weren't punk enough for him. he just took all his bullshit thrift shop crap guitars and put les paul parts on them. it was an elaborate ruse.

the strat pickup that comes with the jagstang actually sounds REALLY GOOD if you take it out of the guitar and put it in a strat. in the jagstang though it just cant deal with all the wood/shape/bla bla bla/ i don't know what it is but it sounds like balls. and the humbucker....well you don't see any les pauls on my wall either so fuck it, get rid of it.

the vintage MusicMaster II pickguard i got from Mez fit the guitar perfect. it actually fit the guitar better than the stock pickguard did. it just dropped right in because it had shrunk a little....where the stock JS pickguard i had to wiggle to get it off of the neck pocket.

anyways. yeah. when people mod this guitar they tend to put more parts ON it. and then complain that it still sounds muddy. the secret is taking more parts Off it.
visceral

Post by visceral »

^

So I am about to do a Jagstang build. I am considering input/advice on pickup choices for it. For the humbucker in the bridge I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan Distortion or JB (which I would like to coil tap) then for the neck position single coil I was looking at a Mustang S.Duncan antiquity or maybe going with a SD lil 59er, or JB jr after seeing the video how the neck pickup isn't as hot. I did purchase a SD SSL3 for my Duo Sonic build but I haven't finished or played that yet so I cant judge but that could always be an option as well.

I've also been considering the Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position and maybe the Fasttrack1 or Pro Track single coil in the neck position. But more towards the SD with my Fender to be honest. I like my Dimarzio EVO in my Ibanez guitar tho! I had a Super Distortion in an Olympic White SuperSonic a long time ago.

N-E-Whooooooooo I'm open to input etc.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

JB in the bridge is super common... A lot of people seem happy with that. I'd lean more toward a PAF style, but that's just me.

A mustang antiquity would be a good choice for the neck. Check out Mike's demo on youtube. The Duncan SSL-1 would also sound great. Fuck it, I'll just link the videos for you.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

SJAG-1 is going to be the brightest, for sure. Just depends on what you're looking for.
visceral

Post by visceral »

^ thank you for the videos

Damn I like the sound of both pickups the mustang and the strat, the guy in the 2nd video really made the strat pickup sound interesting coming from a jagstang!
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

How do you mount the Jaguar pickup in a Mustang?

Also, I am very much interested in the SJAG-1 pickups because the SJM-1 (Vintage for Jazzmaster) is such a fantastic, underrated, well priced pickup set and sounds absolutely perfect in my Johnny Marr style Jazzmaster. I just simply cannot imagine a better sounding set of pickups than my SJM-1. They're warm, articulate, but bright enough, and just the right amount of volume, too.

However, finding a set of Jaguar pickups I like has proven to be quite a bit of a challenge. I haven't tried that many. I've tried the AVRI set and they're OK, but I don't know, I feel like I can do better. I found the Fender Pure Vintage '65 set to be shrill garbage. I tried the SJAG-2 Duncan set and gosh, what a dumb idea for a pickup set. Mud mud mud. Maybe SJAG-1 is what I should have gone for in the first place. Or maybe I should just get them custom made because I think part of what I love about the SJM-1 is that Jazzmaster pickups sound a bit overwound but not overly so.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

honeyiscool wrote:How do you mount the Jaguar pickup in a Mustang?
Remove claw, apply Strat/Stang pickup cover.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"