Great score on a used guitar at GC yesterday...

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Re: Great score on a used guitar at GC yesterday...

Post by theshadowofseattle »

avj wrote:seem to be held in by the same magic that holds the strings in on an acoustic guitar

Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
speedfish

Re: Great score on a used guitar at GC yesterday...

Post by speedfish »

avj wrote:Okay, so fuck Danelectro/Evets because of the Prop 8 stuff, but this guitar was $99 and lessened by a $25 promo card they sent me in the mail for buying some stuff (EHX Pulsar, on sale for $59 at the time) on President's Day.

It's a DC 59, which I believe was reissued from 1998-2001. (Perhaps a more-knowledgable Dano person can school me on this.) I cleaned it up and retstrung it with some 10s and it sounds great. I've always wanted one and was considering buying the Dano 63, but went sour on them after reading about Ridinger's donations. I have no remorse for buying this, as my money isn't going to them -- not to mention it was a sweet deal.

The only thing that sucks is the strap buttons. They're tapered and seem to be held in by the same magic that holds the strings in on an acoustic guitar, but they feel like they'll come out with any great rockin'. I was thinking of using good ol' 3M 3501 epoxy to keep them in place.
Congrats! That's an amazing deal! 8)
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Sat Apr 25, 2009
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Fakir Mustache wrote:I wouldn't even say their pedals are quality, but they are distinct and not copies.
Apart from all the ones that are famous copies.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

^That

Danelectro got busted ripping off some boutique circuits with the more recent Cool Cat series Fuzz and Transparent Overdrive pedals, they quickly claimed it was a coincidence (lel) while replacing both pedals with Phase II versions... then there's the earlier Mini series "french toast" which is a clone of the old Foxx Tone Machine octave fuzz desgined by renowned homophobe Steve Ridinger back in '71.
Their housings are generally pretty distinctive but I wouldn't consider any of their effects to be recognizable by sound alone, it was usually pretty general stuff dressed up as something fancy, and at times where their pedals seemed to have a distinct edge it's because they copied something tried-and-true, but for cheapz.

Also I would say those mini pedals are pretty tough. Have had the Milkshake chorus for 15 years (including 4 years gigging pedalboard duty) and French Toast about 8 (including a few years getting used on the board and having a coffee spilled on it) and they've always worked, though due to their plastic cases they are indeed susceptible to interference, especially with daisy chain power supplies.
By comparison a Behringer DD-3 clone I have doesn't work for shit after having the same type of coffee spilled on it (WHAT THE FUCK ARE BEHRINGER PLAYING AT *waves arms around flinging coffee everywhere*).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Still love this guitar and have replaced the magic holding the strap buttons with the aforementioned epoxy.

At least someone managed to use the search, presumably the reason for the crazy bump.