mustang vibrato rattle/buzz

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

michaeltullo

mustang vibrato rattle/buzz

Post by michaeltullo »

help me make it stop!

i'm almost certain it is the vibrato and not the bridge, and definitely not any loose wire or anything shaking around inside, because i removed the pickguard and control plate and it still rattles/buzzes. i wrapped a little tape around the bridge posts and the little threaded guys that raise/lower the action. still rattles. if i kinda pinch all the saddles together when i strum i still get the rattle. i took out the grub screw that holds the trem arm on, still rattles.

when i put my ear up to it, where it sounds the loudest is right under the vibrato plate... so i took off the vibrato and put a couple tiny pieces of gaff tape under where springs meet the plate, and it still rattles. i tried really hard to move the springs down to the furthest notch in the post to tighten them up a bit, but goddamn those things don't wanna move in either direction!

my last idea is to wrap tape around the vibrato springs, or where the springs meet the posts that are screwed to the cigar tube?

obviously i'd like to solve the mystery and the problem without tape, but, whatever is necessary...

help! thanks!
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Take pliers that have a nose like a dolphin and remove the springs from the other end (where they go into the plate), then move the springs and put them back in the same way you took them out.

Also lower the cigar tube, you want it pretty low, but high enough to be able to change strings. There are holes to use small hex wrenches, or you can spin the posts by hand when the springs are not connected (sometimes hard, especially with vintage models).
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

thanks. i have done all that and it still buzzes.

unfortunately i don't know anyone else with a mustang or know any stores anywhere near me to go check one out, but i'm beginning to think its just inherent in the design... i built the guitar about 2 years ago, and its always had that buzz (that luckily isnt really picked up by the pickups) and have always just been able to ignore it. but for whatever reason its bugging me a lot more now and i've been trying to get rid of it.

do other mustang owners deal with this?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Really, the only times I had problems like this were when I had bridge problems. Did you balance the bridge in the middle (not touching the back or front so it can move when you use the vibrato).

Also, what type of bridge are you using and what radius is your neck?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

yes the bridge is balanced and intonates perfectly.

its the allparts jgro 7.25 radius. i believe i have the avri mustang bridge... i had the same issue when i had what i'm pretty sure was a japanese bridge in there as well that now lives in a jag with no problems... the vibrato itself is definitely not the avri, i'm not sure what it is (it must be the allparts version), i got it from either darrenriley or dguitarparts, it doesn't have any writing etched into the plate... maybe its time to upgrade, anyone know where to get an american one, i can only find dealers with the japanese
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

just ordered a japanese reissue vibrato...

please correct me if i am wrong, but i think the reason i can't find an american made mustang vibrato is because fender has never reissued an american made mustang, only japanese.

ill post here when i install the new one, hopefully it will be the end of my woes
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Argh, you shoulda just gone for one of these bad boys: www.staytrem.com
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

no worries, its not the arm thats the problem, i don't even use the arm.

i use the effect pretty subtly, if i want it i just rock the cigar tube with my palm. thats why i love mustang's vibrato so much, no arm in the way!
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

No, no... the bridge. It's a Mustang bridge slightly modified: http://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002362/Categories/JM_Jaguar__Jazzmaster_bridge1

The bridge doesn't have springs... I think the springs can often cause rattles, even if it's perfectly balanced and intonated.

Maybe the new vibrato will fix the problem without another bridge swap. Do let us know!
Last edited by singlepup on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rox

Post by Rox »

Take the strings off and check the rivot thingies on the bridge. You might be able to seat some felt, posterboard or some type of filler to seat the bridge better. Because it seats doesn't mean it won't buzz.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

This is another advantage of the StayTrem bridge. It has plastic and the end of the posts to prevent "poor seating" as Rox describes it...
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

ohhhhhh.... i will keep the staytrem bridge in mind... i hope the new vibrato solves my problem and i don't have to spend over 100 usd's on a new bridge! i'll def let you guys know
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

damn damn damn. it was not the allparts brand vibrato... i put the new fender one on and shes still rattling! :( also the dimensions of the two are slightly different and i had to shave off a little of the pickguard where it meets the vibrato... i see a staytrem bridge in my future
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

finally got around to ordering a staytrem bridge, singlepickup24, you were right, the buzz is gone! thanks
visceral

Post by visceral »

^ good to know that works, but for the US doesnt the Mastery bridge do the same thing?
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

yea but imo the mastery is ugly as shit, and i think even after international shipping the staytrem was cheaper than a mastery... i read a bunch of opinions on both of them here on shortscale and offsetguitars and decided i would try the staytrem first.
visceral

Post by visceral »

^ all good, opinions vary, I think it looks pretty cool.
michaeltullo

Post by michaeltullo »

on the right guitar i think it could look cool, but i like to keep the more classic look on mine
visceral

Post by visceral »

^ I totally understand
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

michaeltullo wrote:finally got around to ordering a staytrem bridge, singlepickup24, you were right, the buzz is gone! thanks
Glad to hear so!

I've never tried a mastery, but the Staytrem is fantastic and costs much less. Staytrem ships worldwide for about $6 USD.