Danelectro DC59s and the like

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote:Cannot tell if that was a deliberate troll in the "Jazzmasters have P90s" vein, but Firebird pickups aren't the same as mini-humbuckers. You fucking n00b.
I honestly didn't know.

Too busy making rock history to read it, DAD

[youtube][/youtube]
Defo prefer the non-stock Mojo pickups here, but they still sound pretty P90ish, albeit hard to tell under that overdrive.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote:Too busy making rock history to read it, DAD
I remember when all this was bebop and jump jive, then those bloody rock and rollers started moving in....next thing we were up to our ears in noise and grunge, and an honest clarinettist couldn't earn a decent wage..
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

What about the Eastwood Saturn 63?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

benecol wrote:Cannot tell if that was a deliberate troll in the "Jazzmasters have P90s" vein, but Firebird pickups aren't the same as mini-humbuckers. You fucking n00b.
WAIT, REALLY? I honestly didn't know that. Don't really know all that much about Firebirds to be honest, but I always thought they were just normal minihums in a plain shell.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Really. FB pickups are effectively rail pickups. Fender-iest sounding pickups I own.
NickD

Post by NickD »

benecol wrote:Really. FB pickups are effectively rail pickups. Fender-iest sounding pickups I own.
While I know that the pickups on my LP Deluxe are HBs, they do sound quite Tele-esque. Definitely not a traditional Gibson sound in any case.

Look at us making up words.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Correct, traditional minibuckers are small PAFs, Firebird pickups have ceramic bar magnets instead of pole pieces and don't have magnet at the bottom of the pickup, the lattest modified issue of minibucker that was made for the 2013 70's tribute line has two steel blades instead of polpieces and alnico magnet at the bottom of the pickup.
I didn't play traditional Gibson mini buckers, but I didn't like Epi version in Wilshire - cleans were muddy, overdrive was shrill, they are like only AC/DC type of sound one trick ponies. Firebird and 70's tribute pickups according to youtube videos sound much better with sparkling cleans and barking overdrive (70's tribute pups sounds a bit fatter to my ears)
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

ultratwin wrote:We all be on them pins and needles, Tim!

Also...I'm seeing an exciting horizontal ss.org banner going on.

or

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

(a valiant effort, but I'm guessing Ultra meant cropping to get teh sweet Jagstang in frame, lending itself as it does so well to banner dimensions)
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Had a little go.

Shabba.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Can those five banners please be in constant rotation from now on? Fuck all other banners.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Tried some in Wunjo's.

Framus Hollywood RI: solid construction and decent build quality, but rather uninspiring. Unlike the originals this felt like a conventional solid body. The pickup selector was fun - I kept turning the guitar off when attempting to select the neck pickup. It sounded a bit muddy :-/

Danelectro DC w/NOS pickups - (a nice orange one - I love this colour) this one had some separation of the 'binding' tape from the body. Not too great, but fixable. The body is the more solid type found on all modern Danelectros - bit on the heavy side (much heavier than the Korean reissues and the Silvertone 1448). The pickguard is indeed some weird material - shit plastic? Not formica, not normal p/g plastic. Feels/looks dodgy. On the plus side, I thought the guitar sounded pretty good. The in-between setting is meh but the neck or bridge pickups on their own are nice and bright and have that 'airy' lipstick sound you don't get with current production Danelectro lipsticks.

60s vintage SG Jr - they wanted £2000 for this, which seemed a bit over the odds considering a roughly repaired headstock break and a broken pickguard. That and all the red in the finish on the front had faded. Neck was slightly chunkier than my new 60s RI, but not uncomfortable. The pickup was noticeably lower output and less brash than the one in mine, and sounded lovely. I'd be tempted to swap the pickup in mine at some point.