New Design

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

New Design

Post by Awstin »

So I had this idea in my head all day and came home and photoshopped it. Basically it is a flipped mustang with the upper horn moved back and then the wole entire back half reshaped with a bigger offset. I took some inspiration from a mosrite and a LP Jr. Mixed with my favorite pickup/ control configuration. I call it the "Torino" What do you guys think?

ImageTorino by punkacc9, on Flickr
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Would look better with a reverse headstock IMO. I always liked the combo of light blue and black. The shape is not really my thing. I don't really see the Mosrite influence besides the angled pickup and general pickguard shape.

Tym guitars has done Mosrite/Jagstang type guitars.

http://tymguitars.com.au/blogs/blog/148 ... one-deluxe

Last edited by jcyphe on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Love that it doesn't quite look like a "mashup" design. Got its own thing going on. At this point I'd ditch the silly Fender headstock and design your own variant.

Something's wrong with the forearm area tho....doesn't flow or look comfortable.

The rear routed controls remind me of the NoHo Mercury lol
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Yeah basically the guard and angle of pups. I reshaped the heel too
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Nick wrote:Something's wrong with the forearm area tho....doesn't flow or look comfortable.

I think I need to squish it down a bit. I was going for the upside down jagstang kind of look but rounder for the ass haha.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Here is the version with the regular mustang butt.

Imagetorino light offset by punkacc9, on Flickr
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Me and my friend were actually considering building a few of our own original guitars. I've just been playing around with ideas. We live in Pennsylvania, the Keystne state. We were gonna call ourselves "Keystone Guitars" Had a pretty cool headstock idea which was actually keystone shaped. The blacked out edges where the tuners are would be routed slightly and painted, that way the center would be raised with dano styled lettering down the middle.

ImageUntitled by punkacc9, on Flickr
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I like that headstock and brand name.

I actually dig that mustang butt more I think. Part of what I didn't like about the reverse jag-stang look was the harsh V shape dip on the top curve. Only downside to the mustang butt is now the Jag trem looks jumbo.

The control/pickup layout also kind of reminds me of the 90's Coronet reissues:

Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Had a wee go at fiddling with the upper waist. To my eye the curve seems a tad awkward. Thought a headstock that mirrors something of the pickgaurd's curves might be good?
Like the idea though

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

That looks pretty cool. I'm perfectly fine with anybody creating their own version. Just something I felt like sharing to get everyones creative juices going lol.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It looks better with the wide butt... maybe a less aggressive angle on the bottom.

Designs like this tend to look better in 3D. /i reckon if you did quite severe contours and really pronounced roundovers it could look cool.

Would it be thin like a Mustang?

I also dig the pick guard.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I think that if you pointed the horns outward a bit it would compliment your big butt a bit more.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Do an silvertone 1448 headstock
speedfish

Re: New Design

Post by speedfish »

[quote="Awstin"]
ImageTorino by punkacc9, on Flickr[/q

I like the balance of this version. I think with the appropriate contour for the fore arm it will be comfortable.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
MattK

Post by MattK »

speedfish wrote:I like the balance of this version. I think with the appropriate contour for the fore arm it will be comfortable.
Absolutely - it's got a great Mosrite / Explorer vibe.
I approve because I am currently buying this:
paul_

Post by paul_ »

^phwarrrrrr
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
visceral

Post by visceral »

Awstin wrote:So I had this idea in my head all day and came home and photoshopped it. Basically it is a flipped mustang with the upper horn moved back and then the wole entire back half reshaped with a bigger offset. I took some inspiration from a mosrite and a LP Jr. Mixed with my favorite pickup/ control configuration. I call it the "Torino" What do you guys think?

ImageTorino by punkacc9, on Flickr
~(bravo) flocking sweet idea
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

I guess I could build this. But I wouldn't build the mutilated mustang then. Unless someone wants to donate me a neck and a jag trem haha
jmmc

Post by jmmc »

thats quite interesting. i like it