My very first build. 3/4 scale telecaster

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

escobat

My very first build. 3/4 scale telecaster

Post by escobat »

After a lot of research I took a chance and built my son a 3/4 scale telecaster this past Christmas. I didn't build the neck, I wasn't ready for that just yet but I'm getting everything together now to try and build my first full scale guitar, neck and all. I took a full size set of tele plans and shrunk it down on adobe illustrator marked where i needed to route and basically just free handed all the routing. Hmm, so apparently I can't post pictures on here while on mobile so here is a link to the whole build.

http://imgur.com/gallery/gniIK

I'm looking to build another 3/4 scale guitar and wondering if someone has ever built a 22.3/4" scale neck and would be able to give me any advice.
Zack

Post by Zack »

Glad you didn't paint the top of the guitar, the walnut looks lovely. I would have liked to see it all natural.

What questions/help are you looking for in regards to the neck?
This site has documentation about developing scale length and built in calculators so you don't need to do 24 equations unless you want to.
escobat

Post by escobat »

Goots. wrote:Glad you didn't paint the top of the guitar, the walnut looks lovely. I would have liked to see it all natural.

What questions/help are you looking for in regards to the neck?
This site has documentation about developing scale length and built in calculators so you don't need to do 24 equations unless you want to.
Thanks a bunch. I guess my main question would be if a regular length truss rod would work in such a short neck? I've been trying to find info or a video of someone building a 22.75" scale neck and haven't come up with anything. Couldn't even find one to buy that size.
NickS

Post by NickS »

You can get 350 mm, 375 mm, 380 mm, 400 mm, 420 mm, 440 mm and 460 mm truss rods (at least) according to Google.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Love your build, especially the walnut top and the spiderman headstock. Your son is very lucky.
jmmc

Post by jmmc »

that was a cool project. lucky kid