Wiring a Mustang for all Possible Switching Options.

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

jasburbak

Wiring a Mustang for all Possible Switching Options.

Post by jasburbak »

I'm finishing up my partscaster (first Mustang), and realized that there is a possibility for a much wider range of pickup selection than is available in the stock setup. What I wanted to achieve is:

- bridge pickup
- neck pickup
- neck+bridge parallel
- neck+bridge out of phase parallel
- neck+bridge series
- neck+bridge out of phase series

There was a thread here that had listed exactly that (by Blacktaxi), but all the links seem to be dead. Does anyone have such a wiring diagram for such a setup (using stock switches and stock pots - no push-pull)?

Thanks!

Also- not to start another thread, is it normal for the front lip of the Vibrato plate to be slightly raised when screwed down? Would such an occurance effect stability of the system?

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Sounds interesting, sadly this sort of thing is not my forte so I don't have anything constructive to add.
db

Post by db »

I did this mod a couple of years ago, based on the image that is no longer available. I may have downloaded it and have it on my pc at home, I'll have a look tonight.

The mod is quite nice, once you get used to the switching. The series/out of phase is worth it alone. To my ears, it sounds like a cocked wah when used with a bit of overdrive.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I had done this mod. It doesn't have all the options, but it's super simple:
http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55979&highlight=series&sid=c358f3ec4c7e9765440a0059ff09d3ce

I had actually done it to my vintage Mustang when I changed the switches. I still have the original switches, they're not very good though. I have since rewired it to stock (except still with the new switches). I didn't like the sound that much, but it might sound better with reissue pickups.

Also, I did notice that with stock wiring the same pickup sounds a lot different if you flip the polarity, even if only one pickup or both in phase. On both my USA and my Squier.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
jasburbak

Post by jasburbak »

db wrote:I did this mod a couple of years ago, based on the image that is no longer available. I may have downloaded it and have it on my pc at home, I'll have a look tonight.

The mod is quite nice, once you get used to the switching. The series/out of phase is worth it alone. To my ears, it sounds like a cocked wah when used with a bit of overdrive.

I would very much appreciate if you could take a look, that would be great! Yeah, I've heard its a very nice hollow sound, and all of this would make the guitar so versatile.
Fakir Mustache wrote:I had done this mod. It doesn't have all the options, but it's super simple:
http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55979&highlight=series&sid=c358f3ec4c7e9765440a0059ff09d3ce

I had actually done it to my vintage Mustang when I changed the switches. I still have the original switches, they're not very good though. I have since rewired it to stock (except still with the new switches). I didn't like the sound that much, but it might sound better with reissue pickups.

Also, I did notice that with stock wiring the same pickup sounds a lot different if you flip the polarity, even if only one pickup or both in phase. On both my USA and my Squier.
Wouldn't doing such a mod just add more options, while retaining the stock configurations as well? I'm asking because you said that you didn't like the sound very much, does such a wiring change the sound of the stock setup sounds as well?
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

There's a huge problem with any configuration that tries to do this with two 3-way sliders. It's doable, but not in a way that actually helps you remember what does what. It's a lot easier to do this with one 3-way and two 2-way sliders (one for parallel/series, one for phase). Or really, is out of phase all that useful?

Another way to do it would be to use a push-pull as one of the switches.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.