Budget Short-Scale Recommendations

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

zastruga

Budget Short-Scale Recommendations

Post by zastruga »

I'm trying to find a budget (<$300) short scale guitar for a friend who's trying to learn. Of all the guitars she's tried, she seemed to like my girlfriend's Pawn Shop Mustang best but it's a bit out of her budget. What recommendations do you have for a sub $300 short scale?

I'm leaning towards the Squier VM Mustang, but wanted to know what else might be out there. Doesn't have to be Fender/Squier. She'll be playing punk mostly, so a humbucker would be cool but not necessary.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:incesticide
zastruga

Post by zastruga »

Good find!

How are the Squier Mustangs? Good quality? Do they have bridge issues like the Jags/JMs? Pickups?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Squier Mustang, do a rails pickup in the bridge for teh punk sounds.

I can't imagine the beginner player finding much issue with the stock bridge, if it is a problem, upgrade to a fender one and it's still within budget.

Pickups are alnico I think in these new squiers...the electronics are the weakness but for a beginner they'll do just fine.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

a jag-stang was my only guitar from 94-2000.

so when you guys say "bridge issues" i just laugh. to me its supposed to rattle around. thats the mustang sound to me. its not supposed to sound perfect to me.
dots wrote:incesticide
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Nick wrote:Squier Mustang, do a rails pickup in the bridge for teh punk sounds.
probably not necessary though, the stock bridge pickup is pretty hot.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
zastruga

Post by zastruga »

Thanks for all the help! Going to call Guitar Center later and check it out.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

what a wonderful world--- i never would have jagmastered if there had been cheap mustangs...
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Used squier jaguar or mustang. Squier is killing it these days. Aside from budget wiring and pickups they're on par with fender these days.

I got one of the jazzmasters and have tried the squier mustang in store and the pickups are fine to leave in imo. Was just playing through a regular kinda fender amp. Only thing I can think of is a bridge change but i think the stock ones of fine. It's just not like playing a strat or tele.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've had the Squier Jazzmaster (nt the Jag) and Mustang and while they're a hell of a lot of guitar for the money they fit it right under the Mexican stuff quality-wise. They're just not a patch on the US/J/Mex stuff. They're a great place to start tho, or as the starting point for a project.

You can't do much better for £100 secondhand.
zastruga

Post by zastruga »

Thomas wrote:I've had the Squier Jazzmaster (nt the Jag) and Mustang and while they're a hell of a lot of guitar for the money they fit it right under the Mexican stuff quality-wise. They're just not a patch on the US/J/Mex stuff. They're a great place to start tho, or as the starting point for a project.

You can't do much better for £100 secondhand.
Yeah, I'm looking for a friend and her budget is pretty limited. It's also her first guitar, so I'd be hesitant to say she should buy a $600+ guitar anyway! I've got a Squier VM JM, so I pretty much know what to expect, was just curious what the Mustangs were like in comparison or if there were better alternatives.

She's currently saving to go after the $199 used Mustang at Guitar Center, so hopefully it sticks around long enough!
Jagtornado

Jaguar vintage modified

Post by Jagtornado »

What about a Squier vintage modified jaguar? around 300 bucks I guess.
zastruga

Re: Jaguar vintage modified

Post by zastruga »

Jagtornado wrote:What about a Squier vintage modified jaguar? around 300 bucks I guess.
That was my first impulse too, but she didn't like the size of the body. I think we've settled on the VM Mustang, just trying to find one she can afford!
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Nick wrote:Squier Mustang, do a rails pickup in the bridge for teh punk sounds.
This tickled me, even after all these years...
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Thomas wrote:I've had the Squier Jazzmaster (nt the Jag) and Mustang and while they're a hell of a lot of guitar for the money they fit it right under the Mexican stuff quality-wise. They're just not a patch on the US/J/Mex stuff. They're a great place to start tho, or as the starting point for a project.
the vm jag i have just needed a new bridge, other than that it's fine. admittedly i'm using it in a noise rock situation where tuning isn't that important, but still. apart from the trem (no lock) i don't feel like it desperately needs upgrading.