What about phasers?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Hi,

I have the Boss PH3. All kind of phasing effect are at your disposal. I also have a setting that comes very close to a univibe. And the unit souns very rich and warm all over. Also pretty extreme settings are possible, and even then it sounds warm and natural. Highly recommended.

Regards
Johno

Post by Johno »

Ibanez PM7 is worth a look, does ring mod as well as 3 phaser types.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Jagtornado wrote:Hi,

I have the Boss PH3. All kind of phasing effect are at your disposal. I also have a setting that comes very close to a univibe. And the unit souns very rich and warm all over. Also pretty extreme settings are possible, and even then it sounds warm and natural. Highly recommended.

Regards
I found the PH3 to be to "clean" sounding, I can't realy explain it any other way. It didn't appeal to my ears at all, kind of the same way the CH-1 and CE-5 digital versions sound, sterile and a bit too "crispy". If it works in your setup that's great, it probably just didn't work for me having first had a Small Stone before this one.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Yes it's all a matter of taste. And everyone got a different taste. The basis of my effect system is the good old Boss ME-5 multi effect processor. Sounds great to me but there are people who do not like it at all.
zastruga

Re: What about phasers?

Post by zastruga »

Concretebadger wrote:a.k.a. "phase shifting for cheap bastards."

I hankering after a modulation box so I figured I'd look into phasers. I like the sound of both the MXR and EHX designs - on YT demos I hear a bit more midrange from a phase 90 (sort of more "eeeeaaaooowww" than "oooowwwweeee") but a Bad Stone reissue is only fifty quid from new and I quite liked the Russian Small Stone I use to own. Plus I'm seeing Mooer and Joyo do phase 90 clones for less than that. Would one of those be a better bet than a more spendy MXR?

Then there's the univibe clone side. I dig the standard phaser sound because it's like an automatic wah (an effect I've never really got the hang of) so the cyclic eq sweep is fun. But the univibe sounds like a different sort of effect...less like a typical phaser and more like a seasick chorus/flanger on certain settings. I dunno if that versatility of a 'vibe is a bit misleading...they seem to be sold on the assumption that you're specifically in a Hendrix or Trower cover band.

Thoughts? Personal experiences with all things phase-y? I'm pretty interested in the technical side of these things too, since the three main types (MXR, EHX and Univibe) apparently work on totally different circuits.
Try to find a VFE Enterprise / Tractor Beam if you can. They're like the best MXR Phaser you ever played. Extremely versatile, rock solid, and great sound. And does a good impersonation of a vibe too! I found one used around $100 in 2010 and it hasn't left my board since.

[youtube][/youtube]