Can you use 008 gauge with a Bigsby tremolo?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Jagtornado

Can you use 008 gauge with a Bigsby tremolo?

Post by Jagtornado »

Hi people,

I am thinking of letting a guitar builder put a Bigsby tremolo on my Jag stang. But I prefer 008 gauge strings. Does working with a Bigsby require 010 gauge strings or higher like they say about a Mustang style bridge?
By the way I am wondering if it is technically possible to put a Bigsby tremolo on a Jag Stang body anyway.

Greetings
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

:roll:
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Not sure about the Bigsby bit but wouldn't .008s be floppy as anything on a 24" guitar?

Ignore me if that's what you like; I prefer heavy flatwounds so we've probably got totally different tastes ;)
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

It ain't that floppy to my taste. It makes extreme bends very easy. By the way Brian May's Red special got a 24 inch scale and he usen 008 gauge strings. I don't know if it is true but I heard that he used even 007 Picato strings for a while.
George

Post by George »

its all good if you have a light touch

i think 8 gauge is going to be a rarity for most players, let alone 8s with a bigsby and mustang bridge. you will get less string popping if you shim the neck to get a sharper break angle

also red special saddle grooves seem a bit narrower deeper than a mustangs? actually maybe not

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

The trem arm is going to be pointing at a right angle with 8s. There's nothing wrong with it but you might want to look for lower tension springs for the bigsby. Not sure anyone makes them, I've certainly seen higher tension springs though.

Why 8s? Can't you just move up a gauge or two? It's only finger strength, I'm sure you'd be whizzing along after a few months.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
NickS

Post by NickS »

ekwatts wrote:Why 8s? Can't you just move up a gauge or two? It's only finger strength, I'm sure you'd be whizzing along after a few months.
+1. I used to use 7s on the Strat and have moved up to 9s. It does feel like I'm going to lose a fingernail doing Rory Gallagher-style bends on the low frets, though. I can't remember what I have on the Swinger.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Well I was planning not only to replace the trem but also the bridge. I have heard that there is a replacement bridge for the Jaguar and Jazzmaster that can also be used for the Jag Stang.
But perhaps I should go back to 009. With 009 I never had severe tuning problems as long as I used the tremolo in a very subtle way. And the reason why I started this topic is to find out if a Bigsby will provide tuning stability even with 008 gauge strings.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I guess you might need to change the spring at very least to suit the hilarious small amount of tension 8s give.

Also Nick... 7s?!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Yeah... I kept breaking the top string when it was a 6.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

lulz

12-fret bends hooooooooooooo!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Rotosound used to do the 6 in their Custom Gauge Selection counter-top boxes.
‘When musicians were looking for a specific sound or concept, they would come visit me at the factory. Jimi Hendrix was not pleased with the sounds he would get when he bit his strings, so I developed a gauge which he thought ‘tasted’ right.

The .006 and .007 first strings that he used to bite gave him the sound he was looking for.’

James How, Founder and Chairman of Rotosound, speaking in 1992
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

At this rate we're going to need to start suggesting a super neck shim as well for a better break angle, as I fear excited string bends will also mean Jumpin' Jack Saddles and/or someone eventually putting their eye(s) out.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Insufficient tension and mass/unit length to store enough energy to put anyone's eye out. Scratch on the cornea, maybe. Saddles are no problem with the break angle on a Strat bridge w/trem, but no idea about the OP's set-up with a Bigsby.
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

This thread is making me sick. 08 strings and putting a bigsby in a jacgstang?! Some one call robroe to teach people some stuff.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Didn't even notice the Jag-Stang bit. Why would you modify a Jag-Stang trem?

I don't understand any of this. Just leave it as it is, sell the guitar and buy one with a bigsby and try (and fail) using your 8s on that.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

go 12's or go home!

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Guys let me tell you a story. I know a guy who was a professional guitar builder. He had to quit guitar playing because he developed severe injury in his left hand. And he was a firm strong guy with big strong hands. He warned me to play within my personal limts. He gave me an example in Jeff Beck. Jeff Beck can easily bend a note on the d string at the second fret, a whole step up and with heavy gauge strings.
The guitar builder told me, the average guitarist should avoid that kind of stuff and leave that to Jeff and other guitarists with the same physical abilities. I know my limits. And also know that I shouldn't do extreme bends with heavy gauge strings.
Some of you may think I'm a pussy. Assuming that I am, at least I'm a wise pussy.
By the way, Brian May, Jimmy Page, Ingwie Malmsteen and that guy from ZZ top all use 008 or even 007 gauge strings.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Bollocks.
MattK

Post by MattK »

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TOANZ? WON'T SOMEBODY THINK ABOUT THE TOANZ?

Seriously, 12s or GTFO.