BluGuitar - floor-based, pedalboard-size 100w tube amp head

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

BluGuitar - floor-based, pedalboard-size 100w tube amp head

Post by Doog »

http://www.bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.html

Pretty cray. I'm not sure I like the idea of having speaker cords hanging around the stage to be tripped over, possibly exploding transformers and such, but maybe they've already thought about all this?

edit: not all valve, it'd turn out. Still kinda nifty, but maybe less exciting at that £500ish pricepoint..
George

Post by George »

if the ouput stage is digital then there's nay bother for the transformers etc

fender mustangs dont even need to be attached for example
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Sansamp and a EHX 44 Magnum? Smaller and cheaper (and maybe worse).
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I guess it's the form that is more interesting; a stand-alone unit with channel/feature switching right on the unit itself. Kinda nifty, spesh if it's loud enough.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Looks similar in concept to the Taurus Stomp Head. A neat and portable idea if it sounds right. I'm not sure what those things retail for though - they could be the same as the Blu for all I know.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

They have these in stock at a couple of my local guitar shops. They're surprisingly small and loud. But I was just overhearing people playing teh shred through them so I can't really comment on if they're actually any good. Sounded fine to me, but I wasn't blown away.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

I have read a review on this in a magazine and it was very positive. I am wondering how loud this amp is. I am also wondering about the Taurus amps how loud they are.

By the way this thing is extremely lightweight and fits in a gigbag. There is also the nanocab with a 12'' speaker. Also pretty lightweight and small. I really love these kind of products.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Looks like a nice step up from the cute little Hotone amps, which don't sound super great, but still sound pretty darn good for what they are, being a walwart + simulator + juice for load. Ergo, bedroom meedley-meedlings adequately taken care of. I've seen these guys go as low as $65 here on the used market.

[youtube][/youtube]
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

It is only five watt. Not enough for even a small gig. When it comes to sound I like the Orange crush pro sixty combo. But it ain't that small and pretty heavy.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Jagtornado wrote:It is only five watt. Not enough for even a small gig.
I don't think they're being sold for that..
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Perhaps most impressive is it's ability to transform from a 100w tube head into a bedroom ampsim brick in less than 10 posts?
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:lol:
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

paul_ wrote:Perhaps most impressive is it's ability to transform from a 100w tube head into a bedroom ampsim brick in less than 10 posts?
Sometimes I just love this place so hard it hurts.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Come on guys a hundred watt guitar top this size is a miracle
NickS

Post by NickS »

Jagtornado wrote:Come on guys a hundred watt guitar top this size is a miracle
Has to be class D with SMPSU.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Can you explain what that is?

Srs, I am curious.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Class D is basically a digital output; the analogue input is used to vary the width of a high frequency square wave (Pulse Width Modulation) by which the output transistors are turned full on and off. These bursts of current are smoothed to provide a varying voltage. Because the transistors are either blocking or switched on at very low resistance there is very little power dissipated in the transistor and almost all the power is transferred to the output giving high efficiency (in theory) - that means you don't need so big a power supply and you don't need big heatsinks on your transistors. Some refinement of the basic technique is required for best efficiency.

The SMPSU is the Switched-Mode Power Supply Unit. This saves a huge amount of metalwork by turning the mains into high voltage DC and then using a high frequency oscillator to transfer the power through a smaller transformer. The size of the transformer's magnetic core determines how much energy you can transfer in each cycle. If you increase the frequency from 50 Hz to 2 kHz you can transfer the energy 40 times quicker or make the core that much smaller - almost every modern electronic device uses these - think of a laptop PSU, 90-135W in a small light brick.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Yep.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

just had my eyes blown out with a knowledge bomb, thanks

(dictated, not read)
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

yes, the class d stuff is why we have all this really high powered bass amps that are like the size of a cigarette pack etc... like the MARK BASS heads etc...
pair that with neodymium speakers and we are LIVING IN THE FUTURE