Wiring Question

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Chris Fleming

Wiring Question

Post by Chris Fleming »

Anyone able to help a noob? Need to figure how to wire two on-off switches. There's one for each pick up. Pickup wires are black, white and ground. The switches are sliders with six pins. All goes to 1 vol and 1 tone.

Any help would be great
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

This is what I've got so far. Not quite sure how to wire in the switches? Anyone?

Zack

Post by Zack »

What kind of pickups are these? Actives? I kind of doubt red is ground.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

It's not red. It's uncovered wire. The brown (red) is just to differenciate between them. Was going to update the pic with a few corrections but I figured out how to wire it up now.

They're Kent Armstrong Danelectro style pickups. Sound pretty good
Zack

Post by Zack »

cool, cool, cool. I'm not totally sure that this is the best way to do it, but this is how I'd do it. The dpdt switches are kinda over kill since you only need two terminals, spst or spdt. I'm assuming that the white wire is hot and the black is supposed to be grounded with the braided wire.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Yup. That's what i've done pretty much. The black is actually red but I wasn't looking at it when I did the sketch, same thing anyhoo. Yeah, I've since seen that there's a switch with just the three conections. At the time I just went for white jaguar style ones as that's what I'm used to.

Cheers for the advice. I'll see if I can post some sound clips or some such when it's set up a bit better. It's playing ok, but the frets need a bit of work as the zero fret is sitting a tad low.