'65 RI Repaint - Sherwood Green

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

Decal added this afternoon

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

that looks really really good.

shades of Casey Prestwood all the way

Last edited by robroe on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dots wrote:incesticide
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah, it looks great!!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Perfect. The stripe came out amazing, most custom jobs (yes including Casey's that Rob posted) usually mess up the width of the stripes and gaps, if the angle's even right in the first place.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Great job, looks stock !! 8) 8)
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

Update: I've cut a new pickguard and replaced the trem. I picked up a rusty '66 Mustang trem unit on ebay for $30, bathed it in vinegar and cleaned it up etc. This trem is much more stable than the CIJ one, and even the sustain is improved.

Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

SherwoodJim wrote:Update: I've cut a new pickguard and replaced the trem. I picked up a rusty '66 Mustang trem unit on ebay for $30, bathed it in vinegar and cleaned it up etc. This trem is much more stable than the CIJ one, and even the sustain is improved.

That thing looks fucking fantastic!
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
dren68

Post by dren68 »

SherwoodJim wrote:Update: I've cut a new pickguard and replaced the trem. I picked up a rusty '66 Mustang trem unit on ebay for $30, bathed it in vinegar and cleaned it up etc. This trem is much more stable than the CIJ one, and even the sustain is improved.

Can you give us a little more detail on the 'bathed it in vinegar' part. Did that help remove the rust? What else did you do to clean it up? ALSO, just like everyone else has said, your guitar looks amazing!
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

It looks great.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

dren68 wrote:Can you give us a little more detail on the 'bathed it in vinegar' part. Did that help remove the rust? What else did you do to clean it up? ALSO, just like everyone else has said, your guitar looks amazing!
Thanks :) . A good 24hr soak in vinegar will lift off a lot of rust. I'm sure there are more effective methods, but if you're not in a hurry I've always found it works on guitar parts. I then just polished it with autoglym metal polish and hey presto.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Mattsican wrote:That thing looks fucking fantastic!
+1000. Absolutely lovely.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Love the thundercats button as well