Mixing US and JP Mustang parts question

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

SherwoodJim

Mixing US and JP Mustang parts question

Post by SherwoodJim »

Can anyone tell me if a '66 USA Mustang trem unit will fit on an MIJ '65 Classic Mustang? Not the bridge piece, just the trem unit.
Cheers :)
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

yes!

i did that and it improves resonnance and tunning stability
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

And how about a mustang bridge and trem ftom a modern guitar part supplier, does it also improve resonance and tuning stability?
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

Johnny Noir wrote:yes!

i did that and it improves resonnance and tunning stability
Good to hear. I might give it a shot. I'm not sold on the MIJ trem unit.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

i don't know why the vintage trem units are much better. Maybe it's a different steel and the springs are smouther...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Most vintage Fender plates are quite a bit thicker than their modern counterparts. When I put a modern Duosonic bridge plate on a vintage body/neck I had to put an aluminium spacer under there to give it the correct height to get a great setup.
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

Thanks for the info; everything is useful. If I can find a relatively cheap vintage trem unit I'll give it a go.
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

It worked! I found a '66 Mustang trem unit for $30 on ebay and took a punt. A few hours soaking in vinegar and some autoglym got rid of the rust. The unit fits on perfectly (it is about half a mm more narrow than the reissue plate, but fits around the bridge thimbles and screw holes). And best of all, the trem is stable! No more dipping by a semitone after every time I use the trem.

There are some minor differences to enjoy too. For example, The "Fender etc." stamping is cleaner and looks better. I'll post pics later if I get the chance. Thanks for the help guys :)
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

((thumup)