Gold Foil

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ok listen you guys.

fuck all of you. ha ha

anyways. i don't have a problem with this thread. dude isn't selling his shitty pickups, he is trying to buy some shit.

if he changed the wording from "anyone selling this shit?" to "know where I can get this shit? it would be more proper.

carry on with your inside jokes and banter at my expense.

*couch* *couch* *couch*
ALL OF YOU
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Like it. What do the two white switches do? Do they just turn the pickups on/off?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i thought for a second he meant making the bass pickups and pickguard all the same color matchy matchy was robroeing for a second too.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

@Rob haha

Shortscale just wouldn't be the same if Dots made it easy for you to post YouTube and stuff.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Gatortail

Post by Gatortail »

[quote="BearBoy"]Like it. What do the two white switches do? Do they just turn the pickups on/off?[/quote]that one is probably wired in series, so yes. On/off
Gatortail

Post by Gatortail »

[Img] [/img]

Here's mine.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Gatortail wrote:Image

Here's mine.
That's a marvelously kooky looking bass. Was it routed out for something other than it's original goldfoil at some point, or is that the goldfoil's footprint around the jazz pickup?
BTW, you need the raw image's URL to use the [img] tags, which can usually be found by right clicking the hosted picture on imgur or wherever and selecting "copy image URL" in Chrome or "copy image location" in Firefox.

The best explanation I can give you for pushback over the classifieds/50 posts rule is that there are people who try to circumvent this rule a lot and even a very recent poster who decided the forum in general wasn't worth his time, that the rule was "nonsense" and that he already knew he just wanted to see if he could sell/buy some stuff and not stick around... shortscale is a pretty strong community for a guitar forum (countless times has resulted in real-life acquaintance/friendships, stolen gear replaced by online bros, even international meet-up jam/bbq parties), yet we still have an "at your own risk" classifieds in which people have been bamboozled in the past. The 50 post limit to view it is a vague, hardly infallible insurance policy against forum members getting ripped off. The longer someone posts here, the ever-so-slightly easier it is to read them as people. That's really all there is to it, no exceptions are made but by that same token no fingers are pointed at any specific person by holding them to it... we just want to make sure people are somewhat established here before they start dealing in money or items of value. We hope you'll understand and stick around, it's not meant to be elitist or deter newcomers or anything like that.

There are also no goldfoil pickups in there right now so it's not a keep-away ;) I think eBay might be your best bet for stuff like that.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

What's the black shit around the pickup???
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Gatortail

Post by Gatortail »

@Paul_

Thanks for the hospitality. I figured the rule was due to something like that. Makes sense.

@Mo

It's dry rotted foam rubber that has leaked/molded itself out from under the pickup. Pickup came from a 78 Jazz, but not Dimarzio. Idk... Sounds cool though. The rectangle is a magnet I added for output. It reads 7.6 or so. The original pickup was around 13.4 ohms.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

I would check reverb and see if anyone's selling anything remotely similar. If not maybe eBay.

Bass looks sweet, definitely gonna look 100x better with an appropriate pickup. Good luck with the bass! I love odd shit like that, reverb has a ton of it, plus all kinds of weird parts.
Gatortail

Post by Gatortail »

@Josh
Thanks. I have. Everyone selling a bass with that pickup is asking an arm and a leg...

@Paul_
The routing. .. Yes, it's been routed. Upon my losing the original pickup, I assembled a Hum/Jazzbucker out of a pair of Don Mare Jazz bass pickups (his Fender style pickups are dope) I had to chisel about a Cm from the original factory route to accommodate it as it was slightly wider.
Gatortail

Post by Gatortail »

@Paul_
Btw: the Hum/Jazzbucker sounds absolutely balls to the wall legit. pM me if you wanna hear them.
Even though it kills me, I have bills to pay so they are on the block already on Reverb coincidentally as previously mentioned.
cur

Post by cur »

Gatortail is getting it. Keep the good posts and in a month or so you will be able to follow all the inside baseball references this thread.

NickS

Post by NickS »

Gatortail wrote:
BearBoy wrote:Like it. What do the two white switches do? Do they just turn the pickups on/off?
that one is probably wired in series, so yes. On/off
Pro tip: I suspect that you have "Disable BBCode in this post" selected, which doesn't help, as your post should have shown BearBoys' post quoted as above.
Gatortail

Post by Gatortail »

Thanks. I suck at computers.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Gator, I'm not sure if it'd be any cheaper than arm and a leg priced originals on reverb, but have you looked into having the pickup repaired? Curtis Novak has a history of working on gold foils I'm pretty sure.
Gatortail

Post by Gatortail »

Mr. Clay*
Unfortunately, the pickup is unrepairable. The pickguard rolled off the body and the pickup leads were snapped at the bobbin when it fell. I had repaired the leads numerous times prior. They finally gave way. Plain and simple. Wires are trashed now unfortunately. Besides that, the paper bobbin was falling apart as well.

Thanks for the lead on Curtis Novak. I have read about his stuff before. Never tried it though. Have been using Don Mare pickups and have been very satisfied. Besides, I dont have a budget to go ordering a bunch of stuff. That's true.
windmill

Post by windmill »

Hello Gatortail

I have the same bass as you have,

Have you been able to find another pick up ?

The pick up in mine has always been underpowered. Was yours like this and were you able to do anything about it ?

Thanks

:)
Gatortail

Post by Gatortail »

Not yet.

Not yet though I've owned a couple over the years.

Not at all. Didn't need to.

Wanna sell yours?
windmill

Post by windmill »

Thanks for the offer but I want to keep mine

I'm trying to keep in original condition.

I paid $10 dollar for it way back and after putting that in the inflation calculator I thinks that works out to be $55 in todays money.

It might be valuable if I can live long enough !

:)