DELAY delay delay delay

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

DELAY delay delay delay

Post by dots »

y'all have been extremely helpful in my search for teh tonez so far, so my next quest is delay. here's what i want:
  • tap tempo
  • at least 15 seconds of looping
  • no physics degree required to operate
  • max $200
i'm not as concerned on space with this one, so regular and larger pedals are a-ok.

tc electronic seems to have several options. any experience with them around here? does the ehm memory man series live up to the hype?
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Flashback x4 is RIGHT up your street. I loved mine.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Well, maybe the Memory Boy? I am not into delays too much, but this seems to have a really nice tone. Not sure about the loop time tho.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

benecol wrote:Flashback x4 is RIGHT up your street. I loved mine.
yep, been looking at that and the alter ego.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

vojtasTS29 wrote:Well, maybe the Memory Boy? I am not into delays too much, but this seems to have a really nice tone. Not sure about the loop time tho.
memory boy is almost there, but i don't think it has enough of a loop.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Wee bit pricier than you said, but love my Memory Man w/ Hazarai. Great delay, tap tempo, does different types of delay well, has looper, and can be operated with or without physics degree. Like, you can pretty much plug in and go, or you can spend time with it. I literally find something new that it can do every time I sit down with it.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Loved my SMMwH, but the looper functionality's a bit weird. Loved the FBx4 moar.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I've never found a looper that doesn't feel weird, though (I've only ever used this and the RC-2). I find them quite unintuitive things generally, and you have to work around them.

It can be fiddly getting the blend control right so that volumes of subsequent loops make sense.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

for me, the loops are a "probably going to use" feature as i think this incarnation of the band is going to end up a three-piece. can't say how often i'll use loops, but i can think of a few places it should be pretty straightforward... i just need to get better at tap dancing!
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

The bit that threw me about SMMwH looping was the step on at start, take your foot off when your done thing (that's right, isn't it Paul?) - prefer the click start/click stop loop on the TC.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Yep, that's right. To me that feels just as artificial as the two click thing, though, so I don't mind.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

loving the features of the x4 but.... anytime i run an overdriven signal through it, the thing cuts out after about 15 seconds. do i have to run it only through the fx loop?
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

benecol wrote:Flashback x4 is RIGHT up your street. I loved mine.
Ditto with my Alter Ego x4.

Super easy to use in both delay and loop modes, and lots of options.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

dots wrote:loving the features of the x4 but.... anytime i run an overdriven signal through it, the thing cuts out after about 15 seconds. do i have to run it only through the fx loop?
I haven't used the looper enough to comment on this; I've only used it for shorter loops.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i'm not even talking loops yet. i'm just talking about running a signal through the thing.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I'll mess around with long feedback tomorrow with some heavy distortion and get back to you.

I do use lots of feedback in a few songs, but they're supposed to be really messy and it works like I want it to :P
Donate to Ankhanu Press
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

dots wrote:loving the features of the x4 but.... anytime i run an overdriven signal through it, the thing cuts out after about 15 seconds. do i have to run it only through the fx loop?
That doesn't sound right at all to me - contact TC? Ask for a replacement?

EDIT: that said, are you just running it up front (I did, with lots of fuzz, obv.)? The only problems I've read about online (did a little scout around since I was so quick to recommend) come from running it in the loop. Have you tried switching it from true bypass to buffered? See if that does it?
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Yeah, I've never used mine in an FXLoop, it's always up front, partly because I bi-amp and use it as my stereo split;my guitar amp doesn't have a loop, though the bass amp does.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

You should also consider the Delay Lab by Vox

It is very similar to the FBx4. I use it with my Prophet08 so I cant really say about the guitar tones but the sound quality is great and functionality is ok if you dig the manual a bit.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hmmm, are you daisychaining the power to everything? I wonder if turning-on the OD too is making the current draw higher than your PSU is able to happily supply? Digital fx can be quite current-greedy.