Best electric guitar amps under $500 USD?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doug

Best electric guitar amps under $500 USD?

Post by Doug »

My brother wants an amp for his Les Paul. He plays 1960s Blues-Folk-Rock like Crosby, Stills & Nash; Neal Young; Jesse Colin Young. He plays mainly at home and sometimes jams with friends. No gigs.

What do you recommend for under $500 USD?
Doug
Freethenoise

Re: Best electric guitar amps under $500 USD?

Post by Freethenoise »

Doug wrote:My brother wants an amp for his Les Paul. He plays 1960s Blues-Folk-Rock like Crosby, Stills & Nash; Neal Young; Jesse Colin Young. He plays mainly at home and sometimes jams with friends. No gigs.

What do you recommend for under $500 USD?
I always give the same recommendation for amps around that price.
Hit up a Roland Cube. It'll keep him covered for pretty much any tone he'd want for now. They're wicked portable if he wants to take it to friends houses for jams and stuff too.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Around that price range for an amp I wouldn't gig with id probably try out a small fender tube amp like a blues jr. I know you can snag silverface champs at that price range too.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

You can get either a new Vox AC10 or Nightrain combo, or a used AC15 which might be overkill.

Fender Super Champ or blues jr are in that budget too.

I think I'd say Night train comboin this situation. Loud enough for small gigs and practice, small, lightweight, lots of tonal variety and all tube. I think they're $400 at GC.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I've heard good things about VHT amps, they're point-to-point, hand wired in China and good prices.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Favorite amp I have ever owned

[youtube][/youtube]
Two 6V6 power tubes, 13 watts; two 12AX7 preamp tubes
15" Special Design speaker
Guitar, Mic, and Accordion inputs (each with individually optimized circuitry)
Volume, Tremolo knobs; Bright/Dark switch
1/4" internal speaker disconnect for driving an external speaker

here it is A/B with an Eric Clapton Tremelux amp that costs $2,000.00. The Excelsior is $300 new. with the $200 left over you can buy yourself a very very nice 2 channel overdrive and have the perfect amp
[youtube][/youtube]
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

On that note Rob when I saw this thread I couldn't help but think of my Fender Vapirizer that I picked up some months ago for $220 new. Great amp (aside from the unfortunate design flaw with a buzzy reverb) for the money, I often find myself preferring it to my deluxe reverb when I don't need loud cleans. I've thought about buying a Ramparte as well while they're available.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Nick wrote:On that note Rob when I saw this thread I couldn't help but think of my Fender Vapirizer that I picked up some months ago for $220 new. Great amp (aside from the unfortunate design flaw with a buzzy reverb) for the money, I often find myself preferring it to my deluxe reverb when I don't need loud cleans. I've thought about buying a Ramparte as well while they're available.
after a quick search on fenders site it looks like they quit making all these amps? including excelsior and vapirizer.

isn't the Ramparte super fucking expensive though? or is that a different one?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

nevermind im thinking of the Machete
it looks like a pawnshop thing
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

The machete and the ramparte are fucking ugly. The vaporizer and excelsior look sweet though.
Love the sound of those amps, not too big, sounds great, cheap as hell for a tube amp too that doesn't say peavey or crate.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

For home use VOX AC4 can be just wonderful
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

robroe wrote:

isn't the Ramparte super fucking expensive though? or is that a different one?
Nah, I find Rampartes all day for between $200-$300. And yes all these amps I believe are discontinued. Not sure about machette. Think all the pawn shop run are meant for a 1-2 year production.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

does he want/need/care about tube?
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I love my excelsior. Great amp for at home, jams and little gigs. But if it doesn't need to be a tubeamp, what about a fender mustangs or the blackstar id core series? Also great cheap amps with a lot of good sounds.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Guitar Center are selling Orange tiny terror combos for $500 if theres any left. Similarly if Solid State is more his thing you can get a loud Orange Crush amp for that price as well.
markleton

Post by markleton »

Nick wrote:You can get either a new Vox AC10 or Nightrain combo, or a used AC15 which might be overkill.
The Ac10 is loud as balls. I have one and it's good for small gigs and rehersals but for home use the volume barely hits 1 with the gain right down and it's louder than a loud tv.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks for the research, 71. I may run over to Kennesaw and test that Excelsior for my bro.
Doug
Doug

Post by Doug »

robroe wrote:Favorite amp I have ever owned

[youtube][/youtube]
Two 6V6 power tubes, 13 watts; two 12AX7 preamp tubes
15" Special Design speaker
Guitar, Mic, and Accordion inputs (each with individually optimized circuitry)
Volume, Tremolo knobs; Bright/Dark switch
1/4" internal speaker disconnect for driving an external speaker
here it is A/B with an Eric Clapton Tremelux amp that costs $2,000.00. The Excelsior is $300 new. with the $200 left over you can buy yourself a very very nice 2 channel overdrive and have the perfect amp
[youtube][/youtube]
Thanks for this. I forwarded the links to my bro. Looks closest to what he's lookin for so far.
Doug
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Shortscale win