3 way switch in a CIJ Jaguar

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

MrJamesBrown

3 way switch in a CIJ Jaguar

Post by MrJamesBrown »

What's the best way of putting a 3-way pickup selector switch into a Jag?
I switch pickups a lot live, and if I want to use the Jag then I can't be doing with those fiddly little things...
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i don't get it.

there's only one switch that switches the pickups. and its like right there at the top. everything else on it is to dial in the sound you want for each channel
dots wrote:incesticide
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

robroe wrote:i don't get it.

there's only one switch that switches the pickups. and its like right there at the top. everything else on it is to dial in the sound you want for each channel
I thought jags had 2 switches for pickups. The two next to the strangle switch. One turns the neck pick up on/off, the other turns the bridge pickup on/off. I thought the switch in the rhythm circuit was only for getting the treble cut on the neck pickup, so turning that switch on and off can get you from neck to neck + bridge or only bridge depending on how the other 2 switches are set. But one switch flip won't get you neck, neck +bridge, and bridge. I may be wrong though since its been forever since I messed with a traditional jag. I think he wants more of the jazzmaster type toggle switch. He wants the Kurt Cobain jaguar control plate. He wants "Teh Kurdtz".

vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Everybody wants teh kurdtz. The pickup switching on stock jaguar is like... stupid, man :D. It does not even give you phasing like on the mustang/duosonic.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i use the switch on the top as a channel switch.

i dial in a tone i want with the switch up, don't mess with it, then switch it down, fart around with stuff to make a new sound. then when you flip it back up you get the first sound.

i cant be the only person to have over simiplified 4 2ways, 2 dials, 2 knobs all down into the simple flick of one switch and not touch anything else.

who cares "what is making the sounds" as long as you are getting the sounds. i don't give a shit anymore if its 1 pickup, 2, 3, 10 pickups, which direction the pickups are pointing, bridge, neck, whatever.

just make 2 sounds and switch back and forth.
Last edited by robroe on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

I was not talking about the rythm cirquit, i dig that for the same purpose... But having those on off switches is super uncomfortable to me, especcialy placed where they are.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

you mean, like the way you play?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

here's mine.

all i can say is this....see all that black shit up by the neck on the mustang pickguard?

after playing mustangs, jagstangs and stuff for my whole life i developed a playing style of hitting the strings in that tiny area, right behind the neck and in front of the switches.

then i got a AVRI jag. i had to re-teach myself to play back farther near the bridge. it didn't happen over night. but all this shit was right in the way of where i trained myself to play because anywhere else was in the way. its the exact opposite.

but I would rather change and bond with the guitar over time playing it than just change all the shit on it and not be happy with it instantly.
MrJamesBrown

Post by MrJamesBrown »

robroe wrote:i don't get it.

I thought that top shit was the rhythm circuit that is only active when you have the neck pickup selected? As in- for it to be any use I would have to be using the neck pickup at all times.

I need to be able to switch between bridge and neck with the flick of the hand. So yeah, I guess I need 'teh kurtdz' mod. No idea where ot get that int he UK though. I was considering butchering the plate for a 3-way toggle.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

robroe wrote:here's mine.

all i can say is this....see all that black shit up by the neck on the mustang pickguard?
You are completely right :D I play just a little bit more back, more above the pickup.
Janine

Post by Janine »

Stock jag switching is teribad. Best thing I ever did was get teh kurtz plate.

Worst thing I ever did was sell that jag.

:cry:
Hello, I'm Janine.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I NEVER EVEN TOUCH THOSE 3 SWITCHES.

I JUST GOT EVERYTHING SET HOW I WANT IT TO SOUND AND USE THE TOP SWITCH.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE IS MESSING WITH THEM OTHER THAN LIKE ALONE FARTING AROUND MAKING SONDZ ALONE IN A SONDZ MAKING SITUATION ALONE, ALONE.

YOU MAKE THE SONDZ YOU WANT, GET IT SET UP AND THEN USE THE TOP SWITCH TO SELECT THE 2 SONDS YOU GOT SET UP FARTING WITH THE SWITCHES.

DON'T MESS WITH THEM LIVE OR WHATEVER.
Janine

Post by Janine »

Because the only appeal a jag carries for most people is the scale length and the body shape.

That. Is. All.

You don't have to like it, roooober.
Hello, I'm Janine.
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

robroe wrote:I NEVER EVEN TOUCH THOSE 3 SWITCHES.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE IS MESSING WITH THEM OTHER THAN LIKE ALONE FARTING AROUND MAKING SONDZ ALONE IN A SONDZ MAKING SITUATION ALONE, ALONE.

YOU MAKE THE SONDZ YOU WANT, GET IT SET UP AND THEN USE THE TOP SWITCH TO SELECT THE 2 SONDS YOU GOT SET UP FARTING WITH THE SWITCHES.

Thats cool and all but the dude wants to mess around with 3 sounds.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

a 3 way switch doesn't give you 3 sounds.

it gives you up / off / down

off isn't a sound
NickS

Post by NickS »

In b4 robroe posts a youtube video rant explaining how his way is THE ONLY WAY.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

MrJamesBrown wrote:I thought that top shit was the rhythm circuit that is only active when you have the neck pickup selected? As in- for it to be any use I would have to be using the neck pickup at all times.
The rhythm circuit (i.e. the top controls) only uses the neck pickup but you can set the lead circuit to be bridge, bridge and neck or neck and then flick between the two using the switch on the top control panel. The tone circuit on the rhythm circuit is different to that on the lead circuit so playing the neck pickup only through the lead circuit will sound different to using the rhythm circuit. Plus you've got the bass cut on the lead circuit too.

As an alternative to the Teh style 3-way switch, you could go for the Johnny Marr style 4-way Tele switch (which has parallel / series switching too).
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
MrJamesBrown

Post by MrJamesBrown »

robroe wrote:I NEVER EVEN TOUCH THOSE 3 SWITCHES.

Uh, good for you?

Anywhere in the UK sell these Kurdtz plates?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Not sure about a UK supplier but there is a guy over on OSG who makes custom plates for Jaguars etc.

Try: http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/p ... ates-10317

Looks like he has the Teh ones in stock: $50 shipped to the UK.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Janine

Post by Janine »

This is why people leave shortscale.

Anyway, yeah I think I got mine from that guy indirectly cos I bought a used one from a ss guy. Forget who tho. Also on mine the rhythm circuit was bypassed because blech.

...also, neck/middle/bridge. Sweet lawd :roll:
Hello, I'm Janine.