Adding Combination lock-latch to guitar case

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

speedfish

Adding Combination lock-latch to guitar case

Post by speedfish »

I bought an Ibanez case for my Destroyer, but was unhappy that it didn't come with a proper lock. So, I purchased a combination lock-latch like the ones used on TKL made Gibson cases. I held the latch where I thought it should go and marked behind it with a pencil. I tried to avoid drilling through the stitching, for the latch but in the end had to anyway. In retrospect I should've made a template on paper instead of using the lock-latch as a template. The latch is spring loaded and it was difficult to hold it in position and get it to lie flat. The back of the lock protrudes as you can see from my pics, so the side of the case required a cut-out for the lock to fit flush against the out side of the case. I measured the protruding part and transferred the measurements to the side of the case with a silver sharpie. I used an oscillating tool to make the cuts across, then a cutting bit with my Dremel tool to finish the cuts on the side. I placed the lock back into the cavity and used a carpenter's square to square the top edge of the lock with the case and taped it into position with masking tape. I used a 1/8" drill bit for my holes. The plywood is 3/8" thick and the lock is 1/4" deep from the edge of the case to the outside of the lock. The lock came with 5/8" split rivets that were too short. I found 7/8" split rivets locally that would work. I was able to insert and secure the top two rivets without removing the case padding, but had to remove the padding anyway in order to secure the two lower rivets. I glued the padding back to the inside of the case with E6000 glue. The upper latch was easier to attach as there wasn't the padding to deal with. Here is a link how to secure split rivets and some pics of my work.

Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Handcuff the case on when going somewhere.

Have you had problems with people opening your guitar case and playing it at gigs?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Handcuff the case on when going somewhere.

Have you had problems with people opening your guitar case and playing it at gigs?
Once some asshat opened my wife's bass case, at a party, and pissed in it. We didn't discover the offense until much later. A vintage Fender P-bass. Fuck! The ammonia from the piss caused color changes in the finish. I think that I can lightly sand down into the laquer and then shoot over it to repair the damage, but fucking fuck! I'm not going to let anything like that ever happen again if I can help it. IMO an unlocked case is an invitation to non-musicians to take out your guitar play rock star and go Pete Townsend on it. So, I'm just taking precautions for future wannabe rockstars.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

NickS

Post by NickS »

Nice work!
HNB

Post by HNB »

speedfish wrote:Once some asshat opened my wife's bass case, at a party, and pissed in it. We didn't discover the offense until much later. A vintage Fender P-bass. Fuck!
P-bass
Pee-bass
I think I would be done with someone if they peed on any of my guitars....
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

HNB wrote:
speedfish wrote:Once some asshat opened my wife's bass case, at a party, and pissed in it. We didn't discover the offense until much later. A vintage Fender P-bass. Fuck!
P-bass
Pee-bass
I think I would be done with someone if they peed on any of my guitars....
Me too, but I have no idea who the offender was.
Disciple of Pain

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

NickS wrote:Nice work!
Thanks!
Disciple of Pain