ageing hardware

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

landon

Post by landon »

i also got some bleach and put it in a generic spray bottle . and '' LIGHTLY " srayed across the neck .

it came out pretty cool . not really real looking but sort of grimey . all post pics tonight for shure .

and of the knobs .

i decided to name the guitar
the SHIT O CASTER
since its such a peice of shit
landon

Post by landon »

and thank you too dana . all defenly be useing that method as well .

but what i heard was . to make holes about an inch apart on the lid of a 12x12 bucket . and put the acid in the bucket . and the put parts on top of lid . and put a bag over the entire thing . and leave over night.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

You can use Minwax Golden Oak stain and lightly sand whatever you want to look aged with 800 grit sandpaper, then coat it with some golden oak stain let it sit for about an hour and then dab off until you get the desired look.

Also another method I read was to use Rit dye, the stuff used to dye fabric you can find it in the grocery store or wal mart. Just make sure you mix it with some water to dilute it so it won't stain too hard. If you don't get the desired look, you can always just bleach the color out by soaking it in bleach.

I'm gonna be posting pics soon of a secret project I'm doing, I used some Golden Oak stain to get an aged look and it works great!
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

So does Hurb's knob smell like curry now? I suppose it would anyway after playing with it.

There are a few schools of thought about all of this. For plastic parts, some people use a combo of wood stain and either dirt or cigarette ash. Others try tea and coffee. Some recommend Rit dye. I might have to try a few methods. For some things I think I can get the same results by just playing, but I have a 63 MM with a brand new guard that just looks wrong. At least it's 1-ply.

For the metal, I have read about echant solution, available at Radio Shack. (I don't know what kind of electrical or hardware stores are in the UK. I suppose you could go to Marks and Spencer and get a few wrenches, new trousers, and dinner. We don't have those kinds of stores, although Target is expanding to include groceries.) Others suggest vinegar. But I don't know if anyone would want to play with you the more you smell like a salad.

But it could be worse. I know that in order to oxidize copper (green), people have been known to use cow urine. Maybe first morning hangover urine would do the trick. Or Coca Cola.
Yell Like Hell
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Damn dude, why you digging up oldass threads?
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

I just found this section. It's like brand new. This should be the biggest area. :)
Yell Like Hell