What's the hardest song you can play?

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

Doog wrote:Simpsons theme tune, but there's a few runs that I still can't do at speed.

ONE DAY
I just listened to that tune again, are you finger picking the bass line out as well? And doing lisa's sax solo?
I also a part with fast sweep harp arpeggios. Sounds tough!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

For me the only time I work on things that I find technically challenging is when I'm transcribing solos. I used to transcribe full solos and put videos of them on youtube, but haven't recently filmed any. I've been working on Charlie Parker's solo on Dexterity which has some ridiculous lines in it, I also did a bit of Coltrane's solo on Moment's Notice but have temporarily left that one to transcribe a Grant Green solo purely as a break from the super fast playing.

A couple of the ones I've found trickiest are Bill Evan's solo on Oleo and Pat Martino's solo again on oleo.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

The second video is a couple of years old, so my timing and picking is a bit iffy compared to where I'm at now.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

Damn you jazz guys (cats?) pick so lightly and gently yet so quickly. Whenever i try to play jazz it sounds way too aggressive.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

It's just one of those things that takes work. I spent the first couple of years trying to get my picking to be more even. I'm actually a pretty aggressive player for a jazzer, but it takes a lot of work to try and even it out. Part of it comes from playing on super heavy strings. Playing fast on 12s or 13s needs a very precise approach and light touch otherwise you can end up hurting yourself (which I have done a few times).
finboy

Post by finboy »

My iron lung by radiohead would probably be the most challenging because of the weird chord shapes, I honestly have forgotten most songs, I kind of just pick up a guitar and make noises for fun at this point. I don't really get much joy out of learning full songs anymore as I'm not in a and, and find playing along to cd's kind of boring. By just creating noises with pedals or loopers I find myself quite enjoying the new sounds from a creative perspective, I suppose one day I will get to recording them and actually make some music instead of wanking with a guitar.
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

I´m Always Chasing Rainbows