Lil' Mixerz

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Lil' Mixerz

Post by Doog »

Heeeeey, I'm looking for a little mixer that has outputs for each track (4, ideally), preferably pre-fader and EQ. Anyone seen such a thing?

The aim is to have a guitar feed and 2 mics into said mixer (to provide a tweakable and portable 'in-ear monitor' scenario), without fucking with the soundguy; he'll just get these 2 mic outputs from the mixer to use as normal.

Would prefer to go this way to using splitters to route mic to lil' mixer and PA.

Nice one!
NickS

Post by NickS »

The 12-channel Behringer mixer we use for gigs has 4 aux channels that you can send to from any input channel and use for monitors (I use one for keyboard and the drummer uses another for general vocal, the vocalist doesn't care). Is that what you were thinking? You want to give 4 people different mixes of the two mics and guitar?
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hmmmm not quite; I'm looking to use the mixer to provide a 'vocals and DI guitar' mix via the headphone out, purely for our own on-stage monitoring.

Rather than sending this to the PA (premixed vocals, plus a DI guitar? nah m8), I just wanna send the 2 unaltered mic feeds to the PA. I guess they'd be preferred to as 'THRU's ?
NickS

Post by NickS »

I'm looking for a little mixer that has outputs for each track (4, ideally),
This is what confused me. You want two Mic throughs (to main PA) and one or two guitar throughs (to amps), plus the ability to mix those together to single (stereo?) out for monitoring, yes?

If you have a slave/monitor/parallel FX out on the amp, I guess you wouldn't need the guitar through. Then if you had a mixer with an aux or external FX channel, you could put the two mics left and right on the main outputs and mix everything else into the aux/effects?
Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

Behringer Xenyx 802 would do the above for £50.
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickS wrote:
I'm looking for a little mixer that has outputs for each track (4, ideally),
This is what confused me. You want two Mic throughs (to main PA) and one or two guitar throughs (to amps), plus the ability to mix those together to single (stereo?) out for monitoring, yes?
I totally should've drawn a diagram, I'm explaining it badly.

The guitar DI is just another send from my pedalboard (run thru an ampsim pedal for less shite toans), into the mixer for monitoring purposes; the pedal board also goes to amp/s as per normal.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickS wrote:Behringer Xenyx 802 would do the above for £50.
I was looking at this series, but can't see any through outputs for each track?
NickS

Post by NickS »

The FX send is going to be after the channel level so scrap that Xenyx 802 idea. You definitely need something with an aux channel.
Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

No, nothing does through. You'd pan one mike to left, one mic to right, zero the guitar fader. You main outs then become your two mic throughs. The AUx send becomes your monitoring mix, but it has to take the signal before the channel fader, and the FX send on the Behringer is post channel fader. The >>Alto ZMX-122FX<< looks as though it can but it's bigger and £99.
Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

Ooh, they also do an 862 with monitor output, £49 at >>Anderton's<<.
>>Alto website<<
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickS wrote:No, nothing does through. You'd pan one mike to left, one mic to right, zero the guitar fader. You main outs then become your two mic throughs. The AUx send becomes your monitoring mix, but it has to take the signal before the channel fader, and the FX send on the Behringer is post channel fader. The >>Alto ZMX-122FX<< looks as though it can but it's bigger and £99.
That seems like a good approach, thanks Nick!