Precision vs Jazz Bass

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

71Smallbox

Precision vs Jazz Bass

Post by 71Smallbox »

I am considering trading my P Bass for a Jazz bass and I would like to hear opinions on the merits of both basses. I really like the Precision but it seems like playing it can be physically demanding since I only occasionally play bass. The easier neck and the single-coils on the Jazz bass seem to be what I would like, more low end? What do you guys think?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I'd say a Jazz Bass is capable of more top-end, and it's neck pickup is less "full" sounding than a p-bass pickup on its own but by mixing in both pickups you get a richer sound overall from a Jazz Bass, substituting a little bit of thump (recoverable with EQ tweaks if need be) for detail.

I'm a fan of the narrow-nut necks on Jazz Basses, and I like the sound of finger style on them more than a Precision. I wouldn't consider them less physically demanding basses though.

It's all personal preference really... have you considered a P-Bass Special, with J-bass neck and J-bass pickup in the bridge position? I'm actually interested in ditching my Jazz for one of those these days.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

I understand that it will still be comparably harder to play than a guitar, but I thought the neck width would alleviate some of that. It seems that all of the bass sounds I like on records are either Jazz basses or Rics.
George

Post by George »

p bass is what a bass guitar sounds like in my head and i find the body easier to manage, but i like the jazz style neck better

you can get various mixes of the two, i suppose
NickS

Post by NickS »

I prefer the Jazz Bass neck and I like the tonal flexibility of the two pickups (I have a cheap copy but it's pretty faithful to the original).

Alternative 1: I played someone's Music Man bass on Sunday, some dual pickup model; that was nice to play and quite punchy (though maybe the Orange Bass Terror helped with that). Seemed like the nut was closer to me/less of a stretch than on the Jazz, though it wasn't a shortscale. I could be mistaken

Alternative 2: Less physically demanding - shortscale bass (Mustang/Jaguar/Bass VI?)
Personal pronouns he/him
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

If you don't mind a shortscale then the Squier Jaguar Bass Special SS is awesome. PJ pickup configuration and super playable. Cheap as chips too.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

BearBoy wrote:If you don't mind a shortscale then the Squier Jaguar Bass Special SS is awesome. PJ pickup configuration and super playable. Cheap as chips too.
Epiphone EB-0's are great 30.5" scale basses. You can really tear it up, and the don't tear you up.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Thanks for the replies. I really don't want to go shortscale for the bass, I don't mind the full length bass neck. What bothers me most about bass playing is the hand fatigue since I mainly play it with my fingers. I only need a bass for recording and occasional jamming with friends. I have a line on a Jazzie that a guy wants to trade for a P bass. I don't really want to go through selling it to fund another, I'd just rather trade.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I just had a bitch of a time picking out a bass, but I DID IT.

Pbass- that neck is wide as fuck. The old style ones are up to 1.75" wide, coupled with a big fat neck behind all that width, much like my wiener. That can be a real hand wrecker if that's not "your jam."

I also prefer the Pbass pickup, but I ended up going with a Geddy Lee jazz, because it met more of my demands than any other current production model.
If you're a "sometimes" bassist, I really love the Squier Vintage Modified P/J.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-ele ... ml#start=1

I'm sure they vary, but mine is feather light, sounds pretty fucking good and has a slim jazz neck on it, with a decent amount of finish on the neck, so it doesn't feel like a raw chunk of wood like so many modern instruments do. Also pretty easy on the pocketbook as far as instruments go.

I almost went for the "deluxe P-bass"
http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-b ... xe&start=1

Which is pretty much the fender version of my squier, but I decided I didn't want to fuck with active electronics.

And if the jazz bass isn't bassy enough... there's always pedals!
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I have a jazz and a P bass (both copies) and far prefer the Jazz it just has more sounds in it... however it doesn't match the P bass for thump.
XY
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I like the simplicity of the P Bass with its single pickup (surprise!)

Do you play bass very often? I found that any hand fatigue I experienced while playing a P Bass went away the more I played. I was a bassist in several bands in my 20s.
George

Post by George »

i have a squier p bass deluxe so (p bass body and neck pup, with jazz a neck width and bridge pup)

tbh the bridge pup doesnt get much play and doesn't blend as well as it would on a typical jazz bass configuration, so it's not really the "best of both worlds" scenario you'd think it is
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

As much as I love this cover of Taylor Swift's "Shake it off" by Screaming Females, that someone posted here some time ago, I really like the look and sound of that Peavey bass which that dude customized with 4001 pickups. Awesome bass
[youtube][/youtube]
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

The guy backed out on the trade. I'll just get some AlNiCo pickups and flatwounds for my P bass and call it a day.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

George wrote:tbh the bridge pup doesnt get much play and doesn't blend as well as it would on a typical jazz bass configuration, so it's not really the "best of both worlds" scenario you'd think it is
Indeed it can't blend the same way, because a p-bass pickup is basically two pickups in and of itself. The halves are reverse wound to each other to cancel hum but then the magnets are flipped so it doesn't have the thin out-of-phase sound. A Jazz Bass pickup is meant to work the more traditional way single-coil pickups do, a single coil in a single orientation which is only hum cancelling with another pickup which is RW/RP to it (like positions 2 & 4 on a Strat). To just wire up a PJ like a Jazz Bass would result in a new phasing issue, so it has to be done differently.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Thanks Paul, your posts are always top notch.
George

Post by George »

thats some sweet pickup lore
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

If you can find one, check the modern player jazzbass. This pickups are the fattest and coolest sounding things i've ever played.

aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

NICE. Would banf.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury