Incoming Phase III

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

HNB

Incoming Phase III

Post by HNB »

I have wanted a Phase III for awhile because I like Univox's plastic covered humbuckers. I have a Univox Gimmie with them and they sound awesome. What has kept me from getting one has been that they are almost always sunburst or they have neck pocket cracks and stuff that turn me off. I found this one and picked it up. It even has the tremolo bar! It is super clean. Only non-stock parts are the tuners. They should be a nice upgrade and I am super glad it doesn't show any holes and such. The missing screw is because the fourth hole from the stock ones didn't line up with that hole.... so I have to decide to just leave it with three screws on that side or drill the headstock to add that fourth screw. It is totally stable with the three screws I am sure. It is more of a visual thing to have a missing screw. Here are pics! Can you believe the pickup sticker is still on the pickguard??

Imageov9vonm4t3mpunv6stdk by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imagespwcschs8qrcg1rzn8ms by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imageujptokoruyr7j2h8kjtm by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imageqo5jttd3uow0ce75el4x by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imageuld0qjnul2v98c3rtxz3 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imagez0azl5lp92cfrgoffoij by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imaget9qii4avjoge7ifpmgbn by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imagekb2dryud4gyzsrxnmwf1 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imagedqyor13ze1jta66rd60m by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Imageqskkkt5b43qpmc2lppwn by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I thought maybe since Univox is back doing the Univibe that they also released accurate reissues of their guitars, that is how clean the guitar looks.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
HNB

Post by HNB »

I was pretty shocked also. No idea how that sticker is still on there...
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Wow that is clean! Has it even been played?
HNB

Post by HNB »

Not sure. A music shop was selling it. I imagine it has. I will be able to tell more when it arrives.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That sticker design could go on a t-shirt.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Came in today! It is great! Sounds excellent. The neck is thin and wide which I like a ton. Low action. No complaints other then it does have those little finish cracks where the neck attaches, but I haven't really found any of these online without them and they are hard to notice on this one. Not sure what to do with the sticker. I am guessing there is a light spot under the sticker and I don't want to wreck the sticker.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Oh I discovered something really interesting. The ghost notes this tremolo plays are the same tones as the beginning to "You Know You're Right." I had tried it with Mustang, Jaguar, and Jazzmaster tremolos and the sounds were similar, but the notes were different. This thing has them dead on. It sounds pretty much spot on for Bleach running through my Randall Commander 210.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Nice
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
HNB

Post by HNB »

To drill or not to drill...... I really like the updated tuners. Plastic end ones alway make me nervous when I turn them because I worry they will snap in half. I had one person say I should take these off and put on stock ones... but I actually like the look of these. Only thing I don't like is that missing screw. I could easily drill a hole and put that last screw in to make me happier visually, but then there would be a hole there that isn't normally. If I ever did want to put old tuners on it (not sure why I would), I feel like the stock would cover up the hole anyways looking at pictures. Thought I would get more opinions. To me, these newer tuners are an upgrade because they are sealed and have metal knobs.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Leave it the way it is, especially if it's better for playing. I wouldn't even bother drilling the hole unless it effects playability.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

LOVE
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
HNB

Post by HNB »

Going to have a copy made of the pickguard so I can save the stock one and avoid messing up the sticker. Never seen one with the sticker still on and I don't want to mess it up. Cleaned the fretboard while I was at it and got rid of the old dirty strings it came with. Also wiped it down to clean it. The toggle was kind of scratchy so I figured I might as well Deoxit the controls while the guard is off. Seems to have cleaned up the noise.

ImageIMG_20160615_223138 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20160615_223527 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20160615_223548 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Love this guitar so much.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Me too, 2raaaaad
HNB

Post by HNB »

For fans of Teh Kurdtz, the shop this came from is in Aberdeen Washington. I was more excited that it shipped out of Elma Washington's shipping center. Elma is a little town close to the house I was in as a baby. (In Montesano Washington.) Calling this one Elma as a result.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

damn you
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
HNB

Post by HNB »

HNB

Post by HNB »

Parchment guard is made. Pretty close. Not 100%, but about as close as I could get I think. :)

Image13515248_1265828733435216_1445213865_n by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
HNB

Post by HNB »

New guard came in and is installed! :)

Image20160705_172523 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20160705_172516 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20160705_172451 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr