amps on stands/tilt backs/tables etc

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

George

Post by George »

couple of strats and a plexi. beautiful.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Tbh, I hate those stands, it gives me the fear just looking at that head being angled like that.

I'm sure they're good, but tube heads are too heavy and fragile to start introducing angles and fucking with gravity
George

Post by George »

yeah alright, dad
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Have fun crying over your smashed tubes onstage when you coulda just used a decorator's platform
George

Post by George »

gonna call me sport and tell me not to mess around with the truss rod next
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Doog wrote:Image
Boy howdy, fellas; this thing sure does weigh a bunch!
dead
paul_

Post by paul_ »

4x12 on casters, best of both worlds. I like how my Vibro Champ XD on the floor bothers the neighbors/roommates more than a plexi through a 1960A, I'll put it that way.
Hire a collection of elves to carry it around if there are physical strain concerns, which will be adorable in the vein of trail of ants making off with a big donut.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
bulletbill

Post by bulletbill »

George wrote:one of these just arrived today for my ac15 head and cab!
[/img]
I was just wondering why something like this doesn't exist, only to find out that of course it does.

The harmonica player I often play with is a flightcase kind of guy, so I pinch the lid for his amp case (in which he keeps a fairly POS Bugera, of all things) and put my Tweaker 15 head/cab on that. I did use one of these things for a few gigs but the guy who I lent it from said the handle came away after under a year of fairly infrequent use. I guess it still works as a stand though.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

i have mine kinda high when recording because i'll move the mic in all kinds of weird places to try different things.. Live i like it on a chair..

cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

George wrote:gonna call me sport and tell me not to mess around with the truss rod next
nah, crank dat souljaboy
royb8s

Post by royb8s »

I use basically the same setup in concert and for church. I play into a Boss GT100 that I have set to mono. I run the Left out to a 125 watt Full range amp behind me that is on a lean back stand. Out of the back of that I feed the house PA. Out of the right output on the gt100 I feed a powered wedge speaker that I place on the floor directly in front of me. That way I have a lot of control in what I am hearing on stage, but the house has a feed that it can do whatever it wants to with as far a level goes. I trust our sound techs on the board so they can do whatever they like to get a good mix, and I still have control of my own monitor wedge for myself. The nice thing is that, by feeding the house with my mix, they can then send it back to anybody that's wants a little of my guitar in their monitor. Usually in my other monitor, I like to hear in order of priority, My vocals, drums, other lead vocals, Other guitar, piano. The main thing I have to worry about is that my full range amp is usually pointed at the back of my head which means it is also pointed at my vocal mic. I try to keep the back amp low enough that I can just barely hear it, and rely more on my powered monitor in front of me.
George

Post by George »

sounds like a nice setup roy!

ive got the head and cab set up on the stand i bought and theres a few issues (pics later):

- my cab is somewhat oversized and taller than the max height the top cradles holding pin allows for. i have no idea how some taller 1x12 combos would fit in this (mine is approx ac15 sized). there is still some additional height available, it just means the top cradle is essentially resting on the top of the cab, not by the locking pin

- the placements of the tripods central hinge section is right on the cabs speaker cable input. the cab is therefore resting it's weight on the cable jack (chunky steel neutrik jack so it can handle it). i could get round this by turning the cab upside down actually which i might try later, although it could have ~tonal implications~ *arsecake*

- the top cradle's arms are just incredibly annoyingly placed for the kettle lead, speaker cable and footswitch cable, and when accessing the attenuator switch. it all sort of just about works but its a faff

- slightly heavy and awkwardly weighted. the heaviness is reassuring i suppose, but it's not going to be as breezy to set up on-the-fly as i'd hoped.

however, it feels SOLID even on account of these issues. there's no chance i'd knock this over unless i was really trying to, and i would definitely gig with it. the extra projection and direction from the angled cab is really helpful as well so it at least fulfills its intended purpose. there's not much bass loss, but i also haven't had a chance to play it at band practice because people are on holiday.

overall i'd say i'm happy with it, for now, and won't be returning it (mostly because there are no alternatives!), but i think they need to make a few improvements to the design so they can turn it into a great product... it's just not quite there yet.
markleton

Post by markleton »

George wrote: - the placements of the tripods central hinge section is right on the cabs speaker cable input. the cab is therefore resting it's weight on the cable jack (chunky steel neutrik jack so it can handle it). i could get round this by turning the cab upside down actually which i might try later, although it could have ~tonal implications~ *arsecake*

- the top cradle's arms are just incredibly annoyingly placed for the kettle lead, speaker cable and footswitch cable, and when accessing the attenuator switch. it all sort of just about works but its a faff
Would a right angled speaker cable and kettle lead help here? I've seen a few righties in rehearsal rooms and my kettle lead is a right angled job and is incredibly useful.

I gig with an AC15 combo and after struggling to hear myself at the last wedding I played (amp on the floor) I stuck it on a pub table at the weekend. Much better but I still found myself knocking down the tone cut and upping the treble to cut through a bit more.
George

Post by George »

speaker cable is right-angled thankfully. good call on the kettle lead - sort of works how it is though.

i think you might be at the point of getting an extension cab then? that's going to be my back up plan.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Just came to say I got a tilt back stand for free when I bought my DRRI off craigslist. Life changing, really.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Can someone please tell me what a "kettle lead" is?
George

Post by George »

it's one whole cable though, not two separate things. picture must have been cropped!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Loose terminology, really, as kettles generally use the IEC C15 hot condition connector

I use a 3m cable with an IEC C15 with my valve amp as the chassis tends to get hot.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Progrockabuse wrote: Currently I have a decorators platform that I use for the Marshall
Good idea Rob.
I've got three of those things in the van and never once considered them.

Always grabbed the smallest table in the bar, or a chair.