Summer Namm Duo Sonic

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

sholkham

Post by sholkham »

Interesting that the (dark) green one is branded as a Mustang.
Messkimos - soundycloud
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

its really a duosonic II.

But no one knows what that is. more brand rec tthis way
dots wrote:incesticide
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

And also the two Duo-Sonic I style guitars look like they have the classic angle, not really offset, or maybe a bit offset but the angle is not as large as on the Mustang.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Didn't they have a p90 Mustang already?
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

jcyphe wrote:Didn't they have a p90 Mustang already?
two of them actually, a Chinese Player and an American Expensive Surfboard series.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Yeah, there was that Modern Player one:

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fakir Mustache wrote:... and an American Expensive Surfboard series.
Oh yeah, forgot that one:

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

More cutting edge ideas from fender. At this point I'd rather just see them reissue everything from the 50s and 60s with vintage specs and better colors. This shit bores me.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

No no no to all this.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

I am so feeling that orange duo-sonic. Where are all the money when a student needs them :D
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

So they're making both offset and non-offset versions. That's cool.
I know it is not right, but if it was 24.75" and had a 12" radius that would be my dream guitar
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Dude, they're making a PJ Mustang Bass?

Well, time to get that wallet out. This is the instrument I've always waited for.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

brandonwinmill wrote:i'm feeling it
Me too, lots.

My favorite guitars are Mustangs. It's not even close. Yet I'd almost never suggest one for anyone unless they know what they're getting into. In stock form, they're really great but what with the slide switches and floating bridge and tailpiece that doesn't stay in place and stringing under and all and a truss nut at the heel, they could potentially frustrate a lot of users. The CV Duo Sonic was a great instrument, too, but that 3-saddle bridge was not for everyone, and the bridge pickup was way too far from the bridge, which gave the whole guitar a tonality that was good, but just very different from other guitars, and the neck felt a little too plastic for me. My friend borrowed my Mustang for a while a few years ago, and when she broke a string and restrung it, she couldn't even restring it properly the first time. It's that quirky of an instrument for someone used to straightforward guitars.

Mustangs and Duo Sonics have simply failed as real student instruments, in my opinion. They're great as quirky short scale guitars for those who accept them for what they are, but for a complete beginner, I would not recommend one. In fact, several of my friends have started on electric in the last few years. I'd tell any of my friends, just buy a Thinline Tele or Strat or something, despite my honest belief that the Mustang is so much ergonomically friendlier, lighter and easier to play. Even though most of my friends who started guitar wanted something light and easy to play, really an 8 pound Strat is realistically the best they could hope for because as neat as a Thinline Tele is for someone who loves guitars, beginners think they're ugly. Lately, I was starting to think that maybe a PRS CE Standard 22 is the best bang-for-the-buck mid-entry level guitar out there (p.s. it really is), but dude, that's a PRS and PRSes are ugly dentist guitars (note: I have a PRS). I did build my friend a Mustang once, but when I did, I went Warmoth for the body and used a Toronado bridge, because I just wanted it to work. And this is all despite the fact that I actually love the Dynamic Vibrato and float it high and proud on my three Mustangs. I love it, but I don't expect others to.

Now, these guitars remove some of that entry barrier traditionally associated with offset Fender student models. Sure, they might offend purists a bit, but I feel like they're closer to what a student guitar should have been. With a 6-saddle hardtail bridge, they're going to have no problem getting strung with any gauge of string out of the box and intonate very well. Upgrading is easier, too. Those who don't like Strat style saddles (me) will find it very easy to upgrade with block saddles. Stringing and unstringing them will be easy. They'll stay in tune. The 3-way toggle is easy to use and modify. No bridge will pop out if you remove all the strings. They're going to be proper student instruments. Sure, some of the things that frustrate about the Mustang is also what I love about it, but a student instrument should remove as many barriers as possible while providing the easiest to play form factor and size. They've done that.

So while I might not buy these guitars because I already have three reissue Mustangs that I love more than anything, I would wholeheartedly recommend these guitars for anyone who is into the idea of a small, light electric guitar. Plus they'll be affordable. Yeah, I get it. They somehow remove the exclusivity of the Mustang club that currently consists of those who've learned to love Mustangs with all their pluses and minuses, but I think it's great.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

honeyiscool wrote:Dude, they're making a PJ Mustang Bass?

Well, time to get that wallet out. This is the instrument I've always waited for.
ok I won't lie, this is tempting for me as well.
astro

Post by astro »

I'm loving the PJ mustang bass as well. But I would like it better if it had the vintage Mustang bass bridge that strings through the body. Not a deal breaker for me though, if I get one I'll just have the original style bridge installed by a luthier.

I do hope it comes in colours other than white. I actually really like white but I already have a Japanese mustang bass in that colour.

I am really looking forward to trying the Mustangs and Duosonics too. Thank goodness that Fender didn't stick tune-o-matic bridges on these... Gibson hardware just looks out of place on Fenders, I find.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I'm not actually sure the normal mustang plate would fit with the j pickup there, but TBH I think the smaller bridge looks appropriately tidy considering the increased number of angled shapes with this pickup config
HNB

Post by HNB »

If the bodies were contoured I would be totally heavy breathing over these.... So close to having everything I want... So close....
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

I am interested in the Duo Sonic with the humbucker at the bridge . I hope tey will not be too expensive
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Really like the HS duosonic and the bass. very tempting.

Here's another pic I saw -

EDIT - Anyone else think the guard on the Duosonic HS looks a bit funky on the right side of the bridge? Has a bit of an odd curve to it.
BoringPostcards

Post by BoringPostcards »

BearBoy wrote:Yeah, there was that Modern Player one:

A friend has this exact one and it's one of the best sounding and feeling Mustangs I've ever played. Maybe he got lucky, but either way, it's amazing.

I really like the looks of these new Duo Sonics or hardtail 'mustangs' as it seems they're marketing them as.

I really want the one with the p90s and control plate. YIKEs.

Why can't they reissue the bridgeplates? Is it really that expensive to tool up the proper shape for these??
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen