Summer Namm Duo Sonic

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

@honeyiscool because I didn't wanna fuck up the flow and quote that whole post (which was well thought out)
This is where I feel the silvertone 1448s really killed it in the student guitar market, cheap, light, super playable, and they sound amazing. You can still snag them for low end Mexican fender prices too. Always the first guitar I think of when I hear "student guitar". Honestly after playing mustangs and duo sonics I feel like they feel like much more professional guitars than the silvertones and supro/airline guitars.
I'd of been stoked as fuck to start out on a silvertone 1448 over a strat that I tweaked too much growing up. Silvertone 1448 is no bullshit with nothing to really tweak besides bridge and pickup height.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

its like somehow someone at fender got access to shortscale 2008 and was like SHIT ROBROE KEEPS PUTTING TOGETHER GUITARS THAT ALL LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THIS. LETS DO THIS.

honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

astro wrote:I'm loving the PJ mustang bass as well. But I would like it better if it had the vintage Mustang bass bridge that strings through the body. Not a deal breaker for me though, if I get one I'll just have the original style bridge installed by a luthier.
I like the Mustang Bass bridge aesthetically speaking, but all it does functionally is make it harder to find strings for your bass.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

robroe wrote:its like somehow someone at fender got access to shortscale 2008 and was like SHIT ROBROE KEEPS PUTTING TOGETHER GUITARS THAT ALL LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THIS. LETS DO THIS.

Did you spend 2008 putting Strat bridges on all of your guitars?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

BearBoy wrote:
robroe wrote:its like somehow someone at fender got access to shortscale 2008 and was like SHIT ROBROE KEEPS PUTTING TOGETHER GUITARS THAT ALL LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THIS. LETS DO THIS.

Did you spend 2008 putting Strat bridges on all of your guitars?

duo casters all had them

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

But check out the Duo Sonic in this thread:
http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?t=40503
the pic was apparently from another forum, but it's not there anymore.

It's a '90s Mexican or Chinese Duo Sonic body, but in any case repainted and with a mint replacement 'guard and different neck, and it looks like the new model except for the slanted bridge pickup, rosewood fretboard and different bridge.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Addam

Post by Addam »

I'm pretty sure that orange guitar was put together from old ('60s parts) and belongs to a shortscaler (or did do).
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

yeah thats a shortscale.org guitar.

its awesome
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Two words: Toronado bridge
All what they need
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

^Agreed, but as a Jagmaster owner/lover, I am OK with a Strat bridge.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Really nice to see, fender haven't forgotten the mustangs and duos. Does anyone have a idea of a pricetag?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

According to a bloke on OSG (who had early info re the VM offsets and Squire VIs etc):
They're MIM and are $449. There's also MIM hardtailed Mustangs with different pickup configurations for $449. And a MIM Mustang bass with a PBass Special pickup config for $549.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Orange Duo is my old guitar. I got it from Fran in a trade.

It was a repaired 1965 Mustang neck on a 1970's Musicmaster body. Had a Vista Musicmaster bridge as well.

It was cool but the Low E spacing bugged the hell outta me. Ended up trading it for a CIJ Jaguar.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

These will not sell well at all. I'm not speaking to whether they're good or not but I'm pretty sure they won't sell.

Fender should have done a Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic, that would have sold better than any of these models.

Only the Mustang bass with PJ config seems like it has any staying power as a model configuration.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

its going to end up being a case like the fender supersonic reissue.

are you willing to pay 300 extra for it to say fender instead of squeir? I'm not.

fuck they even put it out in lavender sparkle and I still didn't get it. its a 400 guitar not a 700 guitar.
astro

Post by astro »

honeyiscool wrote:
astro wrote:I'm loving the PJ mustang bass as well. But I would like it better if it had the vintage Mustang bass bridge that strings through the body. Not a deal breaker for me though, if I get one I'll just have the original style bridge installed by a luthier.
I like the Mustang Bass bridge aesthetically speaking, but all it does functionally is make it harder to find strings for your bass.
I buy my strings online, so that's not a problem for me. I use medium scale bass strings on my mustang, which of course don't exist for sale anywhere other than on the internet.

I do find that string-through-body bridges sound better to my ears, although that could just be a psychological illusion.

And of course the Mustang bass bridge just looks cool... :D

Anybody know when these will be available for purchase?
finboy

Post by finboy »

chemistforhire wrote:
Image[/img]

Like this better for the control plate and mustang pickguard shape.
This is interesting, and I have a vista mm bridge to correct fender's fuck up.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

that green duo sonic ii mustang is choice

it'll probably end up being close to $900 canadian when they get here..
so who knows, but i want one.
and i've a 60's duo sonic ii neck on one of my jaguars at the moment.. so a neck swap could end up happening (depending on what spec they use for these new ones)
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

jcyphe wrote:Fender should have done a Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic, that would have sold better than any of these models.
Again? I don't think those sold well either, although they were very nice guitars (as Gusman has said).