Need a practice amp for room, budget is not an issue.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

AaronGuitarDude

Need a practice amp for room, budget is not an issue.

Post by AaronGuitarDude »

could you recommend a very good lightweight amp? preferably 15-30 watts, not a tube amp
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Probably need a bit more information, dude. Multi-channel, reverb, footswitchable, speaker size, decent distortion, just as a base for effects?

I still love my little Zoom Fire 15; flexible enough amp sims for practise/demos, lightweight, features a setting to bypass all digital modelling and basically use it as a very clean solid state amp. It lives at my parents' place, always fun to switch it on for a quick blast.

AaronGuitarDude

guitar effects and a few amp modelling, is fender champion 20 any good?
George

Post by George »

well if money's no object id get some fine-ass master volume tube combo that has a built in attenuator, or i'd buy an attenuator separately

i have a mustang 1 amp which has great modelling but not great for pedals - depends what's most important!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Yeah the princeton recording amps that came out a while back are starting to get cheap now.

In any case if you don't want tube I recommend Tech21 Trademark 10 (or 20 or 30). They have pretty natural sound and amp modelling for a small solid state amp, and they have real spring reverb tanks that sound nice.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

AaronGuitarDude wrote:guitar effects and a few amp modelling, is fender champion 20 any good?
Is that not a tube/ss hybrid or am I thinking of another model?
AaronGuitarDude

Thomas wrote:
AaronGuitarDude wrote:guitar effects and a few amp modelling, is fender champion 20 any good?
Is that not a tube/ss hybrid or am I thinking of another model?
solid state, with 4 modelling amps and few effects
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I was getting it mixed up with the champ 2x.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Just get a zt lunchbox more watts than you need but sounds good at low volume...
XY
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I really like my Peavey Envoy 110. I've had a lot of small solid state amps, and this one sounds the best by miles. The EQ on it is a little strange, but once you understand how it works, it sounds great.

I've actually ended up using this little amp on a few recording sessions.

http://soundcloud.com/gabriel-wareing/ ... in-vermont
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Gabriel wrote:I really like my Peavey Envoy 110. I've had a lot of small solid state amps, and this one sounds the best by miles. The EQ on it is a little strange, but once you understand how it works, it sounds great.

I've actually ended up using this little amp on a few recording sessions.

http://soundcloud.com/gabriel-wareing/ ... in-vermont
Nice sounds man...
XY
Rayjaysonic

Post by Rayjaysonic »

I picked up a Blackstar ID core Beam. Fantastic little practice amp. Sounds great, can plug bass, electric and acoustic guitar into it and stream music to it via blue tooth or use the dedicated line in. Decent sounding FX on it as well. It's just a good fun bit of kit.
Don't look at me I'm irrelevant!
JustLo

Post by JustLo »

Mustang 3 v2 if you want to use headphones, or the Super Champ x2 if you want good tone at low bedroom levels. That blackface channel one on the super champ is superb, and accepts pedals very well.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I used to have a Transtube Envoy 110 (gray stripe, USA made) that I really liked. I could get a ton of different sounds on it.

Lately I use a Vox AV30 as my practice amp. It's got a single tube as sort of a line level power amp. It's a really nice sounding amp. It's analog modeling, which I find pretty easy to operate.

(I also have a Yamaha THR10 that's a more of a true practice amp that I really like but that's an entirely different beast.)
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

The smallest Jazz chorus-40 or some other roland like the blues cube. They sound really good if you don't want tubes. :)
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

If you can find a 90s-era "vintage" Roland Blues Cube BC-30, that's a fantastic amp, often at dirt cheap prices. Made in America, too.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

A Fender Mustang II might be up your alley. Any of the other amps mentioned by these dudes will also do the duty.