wire help

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

broomhandle

wire help

Post by broomhandle »

I would like to do 2 P90's, 1 vol, 2 tone and a 3 way select.

i would like to have tone for bridge and for neck. unless there are some other ideas.

any help? only diagram i have found is this attached. its going in a F-hole 355 style body.

royb8s

Post by royb8s »

Check out www.guitarelectronics.com They have some great resources. I also got a ton of great info and wiring diagrams and explanations of why at www.toneshapers.com
MattK

Post by MattK »

Your diagram is good. If you want to understand it, check out how the hot lead from each pickup stops off at the top end of a tone pot on the way. At the tone pot, the middle wiper is connected to ground through a capacitor. Capacitors let high frequencies through, so this is a drain of high frequencies, and it will drain by the amount the pot is turned - think of the pot as sucking out the high frequencies from the signal as it goes past on its way to the switch. At the switch, the middle lug can be connected to the bridge signal, or the neck signal, or both. That's the lug which is connected to the volume pot. The middle of the volume pot "taps into" the switch signal, at either full strength or however far down the volume knob is turned, and sends it to the jack tip.

Everything else in the diagram is grounding - the pickup wire sleeves, to the solder blobs on the backs of the pots, to the ring of the jack, the bridge (as in the actual bridge where the strings sit) and the body of the switch.
NickS

Post by NickS »

The diagram looks OK; the only thing I'd say is with the switch in the middle position the two tones will act together; so if you have the tone rolled fully back on the neck and fully up on the bridge, you're not going to get a mix of bright bridge and dark neck tones but like each has the tone partway down.
Personal pronouns he/him
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

NickS wrote:The diagram looks OK; the only thing I'd say is with the switch in the middle position the two tones will act together; so if you have the tone rolled fully back on the neck and fully up on the bridge, you're not going to get a mix of bright bridge and dark neck tones but like each has the tone partway down.
thats what I was looking to do, have 2 tone doing something different. So what would I switch?

and any values of caps? I was going to do paper in oil. .22's with the p90's