Reverb with modulation

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

singlepup

Reverb with modulation

Post by singlepup »

Looking for a new way to get teh ambiance...

Have been considering the Boss RV-6, the Mr. Black Supermoon, and the (insanely expensive) Strymon Blue Sky.

Anyone have experience with any of these pedals?
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Kinda leaning toward the RV-6 after watching this video:

The Strymon seems to be a bit more shrill in the high end, which is something I want to avoid. I like the subtlety of the Boss, and you can't beat the price.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Hall of Fame can do this in spades, especially when you start tweaking the editor. Flanged reverb became my favourite (and blew BobAC's not-actually-that-tiny mind).
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Now that the RV-6 is out, the -5 may start to get a bit cheaper. Its Modulate setting is absolutely gorgeous - my fave setting on that pedal by far.
markleton

Post by markleton »

I have the Old Blood Noise Endeavours Procession reverb and it's nuts. Lovely modulation and can be over the top as you want.

Long demo.
[youtube][/youtube]
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

You should think about the neunaber immerse reverb.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into all of these.

About the Boss pedals: I watched a video comparing the RV-5 and RV-6. The modulation sounds were VERY similar to my ears, but I think I slightly preferred the darker tone of the RV-6. Any thoughts?

About the Neunaber: I listened to demos for the Stereo Wet, and I don't think it's for me (despite rave reviews online and a solid endorsement from Neil Halstead). It's just too shimmery, and I can't get into the shimmer reverb sound. Will look into the immense tho...
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I love strymon pedals, I recently changed over for a TC Electronic Trinity T2 to a Strymon Flint and am very very happy with the switch. The Flint sounds very organic and seems to add something to the guitar tone which was missing from the TC. I also think the TC has somewhat of an artificial quality to it whilst the Strymon sounds very organic, you can find them secondhand pretty regularly and you won't lose any money if you decided to sell it on as they hold their secondhand value well.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Bought a Digitech Supernatural reverb for this very reason... highly recommended.
XY
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I second the recommendation for a Hall of Fame. I am currently in love with a TonePrint called Spatial Indulgence, it goes from incredibly bright and pitch bendy, to super dark and subtle. I like it with the tone at around 9:00
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Well fuck. I need to buy about 10 reverb pedals it seems.

I have loved daftsupernova's demos on Soundcloud... which makes me really want to try that toneprint. But I'm still liking the Boss, the Strymon, and pretty much every pedal that's been brought up in this thread. This is not going to be easy. I think I'll take a long lunch today and head to the guitar store...

Any other thoughts much appreciated.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

I have tc hall of fame
Boss rv-5
And strymon blue-sky
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Speaking of my demos, I just uploaded a demo of that Spatial Indulgence TonePrint while playing with the tone knob specifically for this thread http://soundcloud.com/tremglider/spati ... everb-demo
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

I have a Blue Sky and a Supermoon (Chrome edition).

The Supermoon would be a real gem if it had trails. The sound is amazing and the sway is brilliant, but without the sound trailing off naturally when it's disengaged, it can be really jarring, especially if you're going for shoegaze or ambient stuff in front of a live audience.

The Blue Sky has switchable trails, and while I didn't like the modulated setting at first, it really grew on me. When I play looped sets, there's a hint of it in just about every song.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I had the Hof mini but it wasn't tweakable enough on the fly and sounded a bit too digital.
XY
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

I use a BlueSky in tandem with a TC Flashback x4 and its really good.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Thanks a lot for all of your advice.

I finally had a chance to compare the Boss RV-6 and the TC HOF. In the end, I didn't like the modulation effects on either pedal very much. Didn't seem to suit my playing in the way I was hoping.

However, I did like the other modes on the RV-6 a lot, so I bought an RV-6 on Reverb today. It's a very smooth and dark sounding pedal, so I can crank up the effect level without the tone becoming too harsh. This is really what I was looking for.

I also bought a DigiTech Digiverb because I want to see if I have any use for reverse reverb. The Digiverb was only $50 shipped, so I really couldn't go wrong!