Best Quality Mustang?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

after you play guitars for a really long time they become less and less about the guitar and more and more about the neck.

the guitar can look like a giant dook, but put a nice slim C shaped neck on it with 7.25" radius , skinny frets, and ill play it all day

the gutiar part....you can replace EVERYTHING on it, pickups, pots, knobs, wires, bridge, paint, take a saw to it and give it contours if its fucking up your wrists.....but the neck....if you aren't in love with the neck then its going to be a wall decoration after 6 months
dots wrote:incesticide
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

robroe wrote:after you play guitars for a really long time they become less and less about the guitar and more and more about the neck.

the guitar can look like a giant dook, but put a nice slim C shaped neck on it with 7.25" radius , skinny frets, and ill play it all day

the gutiar part....you can replace EVERYTHING on it, pickups, pots, knobs, wires, bridge, paint, take a saw to it and give it contours if its fucking up your wrists.....but the neck....if you aren't in love with the neck then its going to be a wall decoration after 6 months
I definitely agree. I haven't been playing that long but the neck is so important to me. I want great comfort sitting and standing or I will probably never play it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Buy a 70s Mustang. You'll get one for about the same money if you're patient and look around. My favourite one is my 70's one (I bought it from someone on here)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

VerdantGreen wrote:I hear so much good about the Jag-Stang neck but then I hear that no matter what pups you put in it, it will always sound like shit... So conflicted!

wrong.

after owning mine for 10 years stock i decided to fart around with it back around 2005. i took the humbucker completely out, replaced the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan SJAG-1 jaguar pickup and its perfect. I have kept it the same for the last 11 years.

i did an demo.

[youtube][/youtube]
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Might be worth calling about and seeing if anything within a decent drive has one in stock for you to check out the neck, something as individual as taste in neck size shouldn't be done on a whim, but it's your cash I guess and those 65 RIs are lovely.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Thomas wrote:Buy a 70s Mustang. You'll get one for about the same money if you're patient and look around. My favourite one is my 70's one (I bought it from someone on here)

solid advice.

[youtube][/youtube]
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

Thomas wrote:Buy a 70s Mustang. You'll get one for about the same money if you're patient and look around. My favourite one is my 70's one (I bought it from someone on here)
Is there a specific year to look at? Or just "70s" I don't hear much about these on the web, could you tell me why you'd recommend it over a 65 or 69 RI?
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

VerdantGreen wrote:
Is there a specific year to look at? Or just "70s" I don't hear much about these on the web, could you tell me why you'd recommend it over a 65 or 69 RI?
Early 70's stuff will probably cost you more cash. Probably recommended because it's US made, considered "vintage" if you give a damn and will cost you about as much as a modern reissue would.
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

I wish I could play a jag-stang but I will have no chance of finding one of those in a store... I want more of a single coil pup sound though so that deters me a bit.
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

Are the 70s Mustangs only in the competition colors with that stupid stripe? I think any sort of stripe on a guitar makes it look absolutely repulsive.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Not all of them, no. Believe they started making those in '69 and discontinued them in the early 70's.

Just go on eBay and have a search. Plenty of 70's 'Stangs on there that don't have the stripe.

Stripes are fine though. Just sayin.

I miss my original Jag-Stang. I keep hoping for it to appear on eBay, although I think I sold it to someone on here way back in the day. Has some pretty obvious and unique damage which means I could spot it in an instant, but I expect it will have been parted out by now.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

VerdantGreen wrote:Are the 70s Mustangs only in the competition colors with that stupid stripe? I think any sort of stripe on a guitar makes it look absolutely repulsive.
compstangs were from late 68-early 73.

everything after 73, the colors went to shit. you get to choose from buttrock red, natural wood, white (hard to find) and target burst.

something like this has zero appeal to me at all. fed some dude like 30 packs of Rolo's and had him take a dump all over a mustang.

Last edited by robroe on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ohh and black. snooooooooooooooreeeee
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

robroe wrote:
VerdantGreen wrote:Are the 70s Mustangs only in the competition colors with that stupid stripe? I think any sort of stripe on a guitar makes it look absolutely repulsive.
compstangs were from late 68-early 73.

everything after 73, the colors went to shit. you get to choose from buttrock red, natural wood, white (hard to find) and target burst.
Yikes I am specifically looking for the blue variety (sonic blue, daphne blue)
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Then you want a '65 or '69 reissue.
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

JordanD wrote:Then you want a '65 or '69 reissue.
Yeah still leaning towards the '65 because I like the slab. But damn the neck scares me as I will be purchasing online so I won't have a chance to play it first. The Squier VM neck I have played is so fat. I love the size of the guitar but the neck is just so fat it makes barre chords tough.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Nothing you can do other than drive about looking for one, or see if anyone here is nearby and has one you could try. I understand the fear but you've not got many options it seems.
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

JordanD wrote:Nothing you can do other than drive about looking for one, or see if anyone here is nearby and has one you could try. I understand the fear but you've not got many options it seems.
Yeah for sure. I think it'll be between a '65 reissue with maybe a distant possibility of a jag-stang. Wish I could find a vintage 66 that wasn't too expensive :\
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

there are tons of good guitar shops in Ohio.

your quest should start at Mikes

http://mikesmusicohio.com/
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

robroe wrote:there are tons of good guitar shops in Ohio.

your quest should start at Mikes

http://mikesmusicohio.com/
Cinci is a solid 3 hour drive for me lol. I am up north by Cleveland.