Dropped on neck... plays different. is it ok...

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

broomhandle

Dropped on neck... plays different. is it ok...

Post by broomhandle »

My Son accidentally dropped my JazzMaster. It landed on carpet, but hit the neck 1st, then the horn. I heard it crack. It now has a crack in the neck (but could be just the finish.) and 3 cracks in the body, (which also could be the finish.)

after it was dropped, I tuned it back up and played it, and it plays totally different.

any thoughts? Maybe truss rod? maybe body is toast?

so bummed, I have only had it for about 2 months.... and, my son feels horrible, and I do not want that..

ImageUntitled
ImageUntitled
ImageUntitled
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

What's different about how it plays? In the photos, it doesn't look like the action has jumped or anything? This is going to sound very patronising, but are you sure you aren't imagining it playing differently?

Other than stripping the body, I don't see how you could work out how much is damaged, other than stressing the splits and seeing if you can observe any movement when doing so (I don't think I would enjoy doing this).

I would continue to play it and hope for the best. I don't see what other options there are.
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

Bacchus wrote:What's different about how it plays? In the photos, it doesn't look like the action has jumped or anything? This is going to sound very patronising, but are you sure you aren't imagining it playing differently?

Other than stripping the body, I don't see how you could work out how much is damaged, other than stressing the splits and seeing if you can observe any movement when doing so (I don't think I would enjoy doing this).

I would continue to play it and hope for the best. I don't see what other options there are.

It feels like maybe the truss rod got wacked. after it fell, it went insane out of tune, when i tuned it up, i heard cracking. I played it and more cracking. but still feels like the action (truss rod) changed..
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Does the action feel higher or lower?

What is the neck relief like?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... elief.html
paul_

Post by paul_ »

If you still have cracking sounds going on as you tune up after something like that, I would remove the neck to assess damage. It sounds potentially like either the pocket/pickup cavity border (bottom of the pocket, which does show the worst-looking crack in the pics) isn't putting up with the tension and the heel is pulling down with the strings... or the screw threads got a bit mangled so the whole neck is mildly loosey-goosey. It's probably going to be stabilize-able no matter what, so don't worry too much... but I wouldn't just assume everythings going to be ok, unless the problem worsens by putting it back up to full tension, just in case something is about to strip or split.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
markleton

Post by markleton »

Could the neck just be out of alignment? Stick a capo on a fret, slacken the strings right down and unscrew the neck and have a look in the the pocket. Get it back together and see how it is. Doubt the truss rod would have shifted- it wouldn't have changed the action much anyway if it had. Have a look down the neck from the body to the headstock and see if it's very straight or very bowed.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

markleton wrote:Could the neck just be out of alignment? Stick a capo on a fret, slacken the strings right down and unscrew the neck and have a look in the the pocket. Get it back together and see how it is. Doubt the truss rod would have shifted- it wouldn't have changed the action much anyway if it had. Have a look down the neck from the body to the headstock and see if it's very straight or very bowed.
This sounds most likely. Probably the impact caused the neck to move a bit, especially if the finish got some cracks. In the past when I've had necks off for set ups, when I've put them back on, I get the cracking sound as I tune up. I think this is the neck just re-setting.

It is really easy though to take the neck off and check the pocket for wood damage. I'm sure it'll be fine.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
George

Post by George »

the neck may have moved slightly in the pocket

i'd loosen the strings and neck screws slightly then reseat the neck, tighten screws and tune it back up. you may also want to do another setup as well and check the neck relief if you're experienced with that.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

George wrote:the neck may have moved slightly in the pocket

i'd loosen the strings and neck screws slightly then reseat the neck, tighten screws and tune it back up. you may also want to do another setup as well and check the neck relief if you're experienced with that.
^ I'd try this first.

However, If you do learn that you have some bad cracks don't sweat it. It's not as bad as it looks. I've repaired some wicked splits in that area by injecting Titebond 3 into the cracks with a hypodermic needle and clamping for 24 hours. Will be stronger than before. You can purchase hypodermic syringes and needles from any place that specializes in animals. I get mine from Tractor Supply. I suppose that you could get them from a pharmacy, but I've never looked there.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

thanks for all the tips. I will go thru all of these. I talked to my father in law, he played bass in bars forever. he said people would knock his gear around, and his bass even flew out of a window from a driving car. I saw the bass before he sold it. full of cracks, but it was one of the best p-bass i have ever played....

I was just a little bummed, the guitar is about 30 days old. its a Squier J mascis, and I love it...

I will check all this soon and report back. :)