This is my project guitar...Jazzmaster type thing.

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Shaguar

This is my project guitar...Jazzmaster type thing.

Post by Shaguar »

Its been far too long since I've posted here. I thought I would share a build I just recently completed, been a long time coming.

I originally set out to build myself a Jazzmaster, but as I started making templates and such I figured I may as well build something a little more unique and maybe inspired by guitars of days long passed. So I set out to collect parts, and one source pleasantly surprised me. I ordered most of the hardware from retailers on Aliexpress. There is tons of stuff on there for guitar building. I also collected the neck from a Squier Bullet Strat, bought from a kid who was selling his guitar and amp so cheap that I can only assume it was because he had no idea of what these things really cost. Probably a spoiled brat who got it for christmas and never really played it.

Anyway, the neck isnt the best, but I didnt want to invest too heavily into something I could have completely fucked up. The pickups are shite too, will have to replace them along with the neck at some point. The body wood is poplar. Bought enough lengths of 8/4 wood for about 4 bodies.

My daughter helping me clean the shop as I build this thing.

Next to my CIJ Jagwar Special

Finished.

Oh and a word of warning for those who woodwork...wear proper safety goggles when routing. I had safety glasses on (no sides) and a sliver of wood went into my eye. Had red eye rash for 2 days...
► Show Spoiler
No.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I like the hardtail, pickguard shape, and color. Nice project.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Great job! Sorry about your eye.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
Shaguar

Post by Shaguar »

Thanks...I guess I have to invest in a good pair of goggles. Safety glasses are good and I did have them on, but without side protection you can still get particles in your eyes.

My next project is going to be a Mustang style, already have the body cut out. Just need to source a neck.
No.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

jcyphe wrote:I like the hardtail, pickguard shape, and color. Nice project.
All of this. A+ job. I'd probably buy that if Squier made it.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

singlepup wrote:
jcyphe wrote:I like the hardtail, pickguard shape, and color. Nice project.
All of this. A+ job. I'd probably buy that if Squier made it.
Seconded. I even like the colour (been lusting after something CAR for a while) and matching headstock. It's like a Cyclone that I wish Fender would actually make.

I can't wait to see what you do with a Mustang concept as well. I've been on the look-out for a Bilinda-stang (aka a Mustang with a JM/Jag trem) for ages, an even toyed with the idea of trying to squeeze a pair of JM pickups into a Mustang body. P-90s shouldn't be too much of an issue, but the JM-sized soapbar type might be a bit of a struggle.

If the Squier bullet strat was one of those old 80s Korean-made ones, you've got yourself a winner. My first guitar was one of those, and the neck was great. Really slim and comfortable.
Shaguar

Post by Shaguar »

Oh no it wasn't an 80's one. Def a Chinese made one from these last few years. That's why I say it will need replacing at some point.

TBH, the Mustang theme is just going to be a hard tail bridge with different color variation on the comp stripes
No.