Mustang '65 Reissue vs Mustang 65 Classic Series?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

VerdantGreen

Mustang '65 Reissue vs Mustang 65 Classic Series?

Post by VerdantGreen »

Hello again Shortscale you have all helped me so much with information on various guitars!

I just wanted to ask if there was a difference between a Mustang 65 RI and a Mustang 65 Classic series. The specs seem the same but are these really the same guitars or are there actual differences? Couldnt tell if they were actually named differently or that these are just what people call them interchangeably on the web.

Thanks everyone!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I believe they may be interchangable as Fender import reissue guitars have held the "classic" designation through different eras of Japanese and Mexican guitars. 69RIs were called "1969 Classic Mustang" in MF/AMS/Sam Ash catalogs back in the day. "Classic Series" I recall being coined for the switchover from the Japanese 52/57/62/68/72 reissues to the MIM Classic 50s/60s/70s lines in '99/'00 ish, but maybe they were using it earlier.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Johnny Alien

Post by Johnny Alien »

I believe they have two different finish types but beyond that they are identical.
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

Yes my understanding is that when fender Japan existed the MG65 was called the MG65

When fender Japan folded and was no longer a unique brand the MG65 was renamed classic for the international market. The naming was a contractual thing, it's probably the same guitar blueprint just manufactured at a different factory or under different license, hens forth the difference only in finish I guess.

It's a really weird situation actually since the mid 80s Japan was making all those MG69 mustangs that were similar to the originals but not close with color or decal. They only sold them in Japan for the longest time, and it was really hard to get anything other than a white or sonic blue MG69 anywhere in the world as late as about 2001

Then suddenly in the mid 2005s they stopped giving a fuck and you could get alsorts of wacky shit exported through the Japan dealers. I think it was around the time the ishibashi and music land sites started to to English language websites. And then towards the end they bring in the super accurate MG65s I think around 2006ish.

I remember when I first saw the MG65 I was like the fuck. That's the exact mustang I always wanted. Of course by then it was too late as I already had about 40 mg69s and mg66s they missed the market by about 10 years. Then the beck came out and it it was like da fuck why couldn't they have been doing that since forever.

Then fender announces that fender Japan is finished as a going concern and then like a week later 300 MG65s in the never seen before sunburst flood the US market. It's a very strange business model.