recommend me some shitty synths (casios and the like)

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

laterallateral wrote:I ended up ditching my Virus KC for cash and a Minilogue, over the summer. I'm not a keyboardist but the slim keys on the Minilogue still managed to annoy the shit out of me and the way the envelopes cycled made it not play nice with the rest of my gear, so I ditched that for a DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, which I am starting to like more and more, now. I don't have any polys anymore. I've come to accept that I am not a poly kind of guy.
I love the idea of the minilogue but I'm gonna need to spend a little more time to see if it'll be useful to me or more of a gimmick. I've played it and don't mind the key size too much, not like a microkorg.

GC also has the akai timbrewolf for $199 for labor day now. One trick pony yes, but still a $200 new analog polyphonic synth seemed like a pipe dream a few years back.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

I haven't heard much about the Timberwolf, after it's disastrous Anderton's NAMM demo. Hopefully they got the tuning issues worked out.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

laterallateral wrote:I haven't heard much about the Timberwolf, after it's disastrous Anderton's NAMM demo. Hopefully they got the tuning issues worked out.
Lmfao had never seen that, explains the price point. That demo should be used as an example of how not to represent your product when training these spokespeople. "Oh hey it works how neat" lol
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Wow. That looks like a spoof, it's so bad.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

I feel so bad for the dude that did that demo. It's not his fault that the synth sucks so hard.

...and yet, LOOOOOOOOOLE
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Yes and no. It's really not an intuitive synth nor does it have a lot of features, but any average keyboard player who has spent at least 5-10 minutes with it should be able to show off 2 minutes worth of sounds that don't suck. I still felt bad for him though but a little more time and hands on practice with the product would've saved his ass.

My favorite part I think is the awkward exchange about the animals comment.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Thomas wrote:If you go rack mounted that's where all the real bargains are. Things like the Waldorf Pulse or Oberheim Matrix 100, fully analogue and only around £150. If you don't mind VA synths things like the Novation A-Station rack are great. It even has an FM control so that you can dial that tone in. They're found for sub £100 and you can dial in just about any sound on it
D'you mean the Matrix 1000? If so those have shot up, they tend to go for £350-400 now.

Agreed on rack cheapness, I got a TX81Z for about £80 (that 'LatelyBass' patch is so great). Slightly cheaper 4op option is the Yamaha YS100/200- dirt cheap and with a bit of overdrive you can get some really useable loopy nerd synth tones, like Six Finger Satellite type stuff. A Matrix rack is definitely on my list at some point, along with maybe a few non-fashionable options like a Korg M1R or Kawai K1R if they were ultra cheap.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah I meant to type 1000. I'm after one too.

There's someone on the Facebook music sale page selling a Korg Mono/Poly for £900. Bloody amazing synth but I can't afford it. Anyhoo that's a ways away from what the OP is looking for.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Well I just bought another casiotone on eBay, a CT-701. It came with a hard case and is missing some slider caps but is in otherwise great shape from the listing. I figure the 202 is just no frills good for stage use and the 701 will probably be a more creative tool. For what I paid for each I'm sure I can get most of my money back if I decide to only keep one. Casiotone purchases were in part influenced by their use by Florist and Tele Novella and countless youtube videos.

I've been doing research into the DX and SY Yamahas....trying to decide best features and value for me. The SY22 looks very cool and they're pretty cheap BUT i don't think you can save patches. The SY35 fixes that I think but is also more expensice usually. Probably either gonna be one of those or a DX21. Or I could just get an FB01 for $50 and plug my micron into it but I like keyboards, modules to me are kinda like a brain in a jar.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Well I found a DX21 on craigslist, picked it up for $120. The lowest two keys are somewhat intermittent so I might have to open it up to clean the contacts.

So I think I'm at the point I can just start saving for a minilogue :lol: 8)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

:lol: Good choice!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Well fuck this....I took it apart today to try to fix some of the issues with the keys and give them all a good cleaning. It was all going well and I was able to reset some of the bent keys. Doing this part on my sofa, and my stupid dog got upset when we yelled at him for barking at some joggers outside and sat on the circuit for the upper keyboard triggers and snapped it in half.

$32 from Syntaur later, I should have my keyboard back together soon. Some bargain now.

:( :( :(
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Taking this thread back to it's roots I can now thoroughly recommend the Yamaha PSS 470 as a great "shitty synth" picked one up for £20 at a charity shop earlier this week... Like a ghetto DX.
Last edited by dezb1 on Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XY
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

dezb1 wrote:Taking this thread back to it's roots I can now thoroughly recommend the Yamaha PSS 470 as a great "shitty synth" picked one up for £20 at a charity shop earlier this week... Like a ghetto DX.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

gusman2x wrote:
dezb1 wrote:Taking this thread back to it's roots I can now thoroughly recommend the Yamaha PSS 470 as a great "shitty synth" picked one up for £20 at a charity shop earlier this week... Like a ghetto DX.
Was this an agreement or just a comment on my review?
XY
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Was going to say there was some, possibly useful, information on the PSS 470 on Vintage Synth Explorer until I came to:
Vintage Synth Explorer wrote:At the end of the day, the PSS-470 seems like a pretty advanced synth-toy, but still one that no real musician would consider using.
You've let yourself down Dezb :lol:
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

BearBoy wrote:Was going to say there was some, possibly useful, information on the PSS 470 on Vintage Synth Explorer until I came to:
Vintage Synth Explorer wrote:At the end of the day, the PSS-470 seems like a pretty advanced synth-toy, but still one that no real musician would consider using.
You've let yourself down Dezb :lol:
Never claimed to be a real musician... we all know musicians are bellends

Besides this is that comment is the keyboard equivalent of behringer are shite compared to my klon.
Last edited by dezb1 on Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XY
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Trew dat.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Got the new ghetto synth cleaned up and ready to go into the studio. It's in pretty much mint condition... and the kids love it.

XY
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

looks cool as hell, great find!