NTD (New thing Day)

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

NTD (New thing Day)

Post by Thomas »

Over the last little while I've been trying to move away from using software of.....let's say dubious origins. In an effort to sort of consolidate all my computer based music stiff I stared using the Ableton Push last year with the Live Lite package.

Recently I met a lovely guy who had a Push 2 with the fully upgraded suite inc a load of extras he was looking to shift to fund a guitar so he cane over, we did a deal and now I have a (legit) full version of Live and the awesome Push 2 controller. I'll miss the guitar I let go but it was worth it for the deal I got. Plus I now have a Push Mk1 and Live lite licence that I can sell/trade to pickup a Bass Station II or something similar (I have a real hankering for a filth bass synth). I have more than enough guitars.

Here's some pics, as you can see the Push 1 and 2 are almost the same size. The only down side is that the Push 2 needs its own power supply, probs due to the fancy upgraded screen. I'll be having a proper go on it tomorrow when I re-jig my desk and take the old push out.

Pointless pics:

aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

TIGHT!
I've always been curious about those, but haven't had the chance to try one.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

They're really great. I'm a fan of finger drumming and they're actually really good for that. The Maschine 2 is pretty good but I find the larger pads to be a little more unpredictable.

The pads are even better on the Push 2, you need a lighter touch with it but I'll need to get used to it. It's super versatile when using with Live.

I'd recommend borrowing one and spending a bit of time with it. I'm sure you'd get a lot out of it.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Got an Akai pad for use with ableton and I've always wanted a push but recent synth releases have put it at the back of the list. Love ableton though & always try and persuade pls to try it. For my type of competition it's perfect
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

What do you think of the Spark Lorez Thomas? Been looking at the SparkLE recently to use both as a drum machine (for electronic type stuff) and as a controller for EZDrummer.

Edit: can't read.
Last edited by BearBoy on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Spark is actually just a VST instrument that comes with the a dedicated controller.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Thomas wrote:Spark is actually just a VST instrument that comes with the a dedicated controller.
That's what i thought as well
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Thomas wrote:Spark is actually just a VST instrument that comes with the a dedicated controller.
Yeah, sorry, "drum machine" was probably the wrong term. I know it doesn't operate as a standard alone instrument, which would be fine for my needs. But I've never really gelled with software only instruments and like the idea of a dedicated hardware controller.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

In that case this sounds perfect for you. I love the classic stylings of the controller and the fact you can fully use it without having to access it via the computer if you don't want to. I have the older style larger controller.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Have you seen the new Arturia DrumBrute? All analogue, individual outs for all the instruments £370 street price here in the UK and probably similarly priced in the US. Built in sequencer too.

[youtube][/youtube]
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

You're god damn right I saw it.
and IT MUST BE MINE
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm getting it for Xmas (stock permitting). A local shop had one in today to do a demo on and they were over the moon with it.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Just watched that video and for £399 rrp that is amazing. I'm wanting this more than the deepmind at the moment.