Metal A.F. (paging Fran)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Metal A.F. (paging Fran)

Post by Thomas »

Well one of my mates gave me a guitar today. He knowsI like to mess about with these things and as a thank you for doing another guitar fix for him he dropped this off.

I don't know whether to fix it and punt it, or fix it and then hack it into something less metaz or at least tone it down a bit. It's a B.C. Rich Beast (Korean) with EMG 81/85 active pups, currently missing its trem arm and 3 way switch. I guess the first thing will be to get it set up and see how it actually plays.

Do any of you have any experience messing about with one of these things? It's really not in my wheelhouse.

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Looks like a can opener.
XY
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I know :lol:

He did say if I can't be arsed with it I should just strip out the pickups and ebay them.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I played one in a shop, not that exact model.

Nice neck, chunkier than Jackson and chunkier than my vintage Mustang.

Don't destroy the body, it looks cool and you won't be able to improve on it. Change pickups if you want.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: Metal A.F. (paging Fran)

Post by Bacchus »

NICE!
Thomas wrote:Do any of you have any experience messing about with one of these things? It's really not in my wheelhouse.
What is it you're not sure about? The Floyd Rose is pretty much a strat trem with bells and whistles. Set it up ignoring the licking nut, get it right, then lock the nut after you're happy with it and strings are stretched etc.

81/85 set means it will probably sound like every other guitar on earth with an 81/85 set.
NickS

Re: Metal A.F. (paging Fran)

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote: ignoring the licking nut
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Do an Jazzmaster trem and powder blue refin, that'd look fucking sick, proper black metal Jetsons
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Doog wrote:Do an Jazzmaster trem and powder blue refin, that'd look fucking sick, proper black metal Jetsons
:lol: That might be a winner Doog!! The Floyd may be fun but I have zero knowledge about setting those things up.

I'll set it up and see how it plays. It just looks really ridiculous.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Floyds aren't too tricky to set-up really; just about balancing the spring tension with the string tension. They're only really a pain if you break strings a lot or want to change tunings.
Doog wrote:Do an Jazzmaster trem and powder blue refin, that'd look fucking sick, proper black metal Jetsons
Fuck, I just reminded myself of these, that's another one for the hypothetical list...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've not seen one of those for a while.

I'll Yoochoob setting up a Floyd as I'm bound to make an arse of it. I'm sure it just takes some patience.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I like the Warlocks but that looks fucking awful. Sell it and buy a Jaguar or something cool.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Fucking shred, duh.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I don't think it's particularly worth much, although the BC Korean models were better than the Chinese versions, they still aren't desirable.
It will be a decent player, without a doubt, the Korean necks were good quality. But that shape, it's not even usable in an ironic way :lol:

The EMG set must be worth £100, what trem is it Floyd Rose II?
Always seems a shame to break guitars down. Prefer to stick them on eBay and in this case, hope the next Dimebag buys it.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Keep it for playing pavement songs...
XY
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Fran wrote:The EMG set must be worth £100, what trem is it Floyd Rose II?
Always seems a shame to break guitars down. Prefer to stick them on eBay and in this case, hope the next Dimebag buys it.
I reckon I'm going to just set it up and stick it on Gumtree for cheaps. No doubt someone will just grab it for the pickups as they are really the only part that's worth anything.. Actually maybe I'll just wait to some wee metal person is looking for a cheap guitar on Facespace and just give it to them.