Are Fuzz Factories worth a fuck?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Noirie.
YOUTH

Are Fuzz Factories worth a fuck?

Post by Noirie. »

Yeah, there's one for sale locally for £180. Its an original green handpainted one. Just tryna figure out if it'd sound alright with my Jaguar and Orange amp.

Anyone here got experience with 'em?
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Like I said on FB, they're great into a slightly dirty amp, otherwise it's Horrible Treble Central
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I think they're great, quite usable as fuzz pedals, not just the nutso type stuff. They take a bit of getting used to as most of the settings will be the nutso type stuff, so it can take a while dialling in something "normal" sounding. Great fun, though.

I wouldn't spend £180 on one though. Like, they're super easy to clone. Fuck paying that much for some handpaint.
George

Post by George »

the non hand painted ones cost that new
finboy

Post by finboy »

finboy wrote:Great pedal, but lots of tweakability. I had mike build me one with offset pots so I could mark down presets.

gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Yeah, I think it's a great sounding pedal. I've got a vexter one (non hand painted). Reasonable(ish) second hand. I'd certainly recommend one, although I use it more set and forget. For gnarly spitty stuff, I prefer the Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I hated my fuzz factory, it was too tinny, thin, and I'd spend hours trying to dial in teh tonez, to only be unsatisfied. It's best used as a noise pedal imo.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

TBH, the oscillation stuff gets old pretty quickly; the Mastotron gets my vote

#MakeAmericanGateAgain
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Fuck it. Gone off the idea now.
more being STOKED
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Just had a gander at the second hand ones, quite shocked how expensive they are.
I know they were never cheap but ya know... it's a modern Fuzz pedal.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i have one on my damn teeth board but it gets used fairly infrequently. def get a clone rather than shell out for a zvex one. lazy fucker couldn't even be bothered to put an LED on them.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Not directly connected but funnily enough I've just watched a J Mascis video on Twitter were he talks about fuzz pedals...

Tone shaping
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

His rig rundown is actually watchable if you put the speed up to 1.25x
more being STOKED
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote:Like I said on FB, they're great into a slightly dirty amp, otherwise it's Horrible Treble Central
This. But as my amp is single channel and only distorts by turning it up that's fine.

£180 sounds like quite a lot, mine is one of the green ones too and I'm sure it was just over £100 on eBay a couple of years or so ago.
Protagonist

Post by Protagonist »

I had one a long time ago. It was weird and neat. So it worked well, being in a noise rock band. Otherwise... not the most versatile pedal, really, despite all the settings.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

I have a clone that Mike built me years ago. I was running it through a Fender Twin from the mid 70's and it sounded like shit. I now own a Wem Dominator 3 (50w) and it sounds great when added on top of the amp when it's already crunchy.

I find if I turn the volume alllll the way up on my amp, then bring it back down to "clean" with an LBP, then use the Fuzz Factory and a Big Muff together to push it back into chaos, man, that's a really good sound.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

I think they have a "fat" version (with reasonably sized input caps) so it doesn't sound as ice-picky. I modded mine with bigger caps, IIRC it kept most of the noises, but helped out with the overall frequency response.
But, as is the case with most pedals, had one, flipped it.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
paul_

Post by paul_ »

You mean I've avoided this thread erroneously mistaking it to be about fuzz FACES for 3 fucking days???
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

paul_ wrote:You mean I've avoided this thread erroneously mistaking it to be about fuzz FACES for 3 fucking days???

Strictly speaking, it is actually.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

o shiiiiit