Squier '51 switch wire help

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

broomhandle

Squier '51 switch wire help

Post by broomhandle »

Its not a short scale, but I love my squier 51. the electonics have been failing. I have just replaced the jack with a switchcraft, but now the 3 way selector switch is failing.

does anybody know what pot/switch to purchase? I have been looking all over....

My plan is to leave the neck PU because i think it sounds great and install a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge, and redo the pots... which would kill the coil split.

anybody have ideas?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I'd try contact cleaner first, but it's a 4-pole 3-position rotary. If you look up the '51s wiring diagram you'll see how it's wired stock.

Maybe hold out to see if you want one with more positions since you're going to re-do stuff though, you could use a 4-way rotary for the coil stuff without the push pull, like the 4-way Tele/Jagumarr scheme.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

with a mean 90, it would make it 2 single coils. I would like a tone pot. but not sure what combo there could be with a SS. maybe out of phase?

and i think the switch might be toast, its when you tap it it goes off, wiggle back forth... etc...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yeah, in that case, a phase switching option would be about it... or maybe series? would get some fatter toanz
broomhandle

Post by broomhandle »

Cool thanks guys. I still can not find a 3 way rotory. all i can find is this:

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Switc ... tor-Switch

I think i will keep it stock-ish. push pull for either (phase) or (series)

but need to find that rotary switch 1st...
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

You need a 4 pole 3 position rotary switch. Ebay is your friend. Something like this: 4 pole 3 position rotary switch