Fender Offset Series Mustang 90 review

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Phil O'Keefe

Fender Offset Series Mustang 90 review

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

I thought some of you might be interested in this...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-re ... mustang-90

I also have a Mustang Bass PJ here and will have the review of that one finished and published in the not too distant future.
Rox

Post by Rox »

I finally got to check out one of these today.

Slightly lighter than my CIJ ones. Decent action right off the rack. Certainly worth $500.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

This would be awesome with mini hums. The finish on that neck, though, looks rather...unfortunate. I've just never been a fan of that MIM finish; don't know why they don't go with something more like the Classic Player necks.
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

Dillon wrote:This would be awesome with mini hums.

It's funny you said that - I was looking at the Eastwood Guitars site earlier today, and there was a picture of the Warren Ellis six string short scale (looks a lot like a 23" scale Duo Sonic II) - and in the bridge of it, they have a mini-humbucker. It made me wonder what a Mustang / Duo Sonic II would sound like with a pair of mini humbuckers in it instead of Mustang-style single coils or P90s. I bet it would sound really good! It would probably look a lot better than using full-sized humbuckers would too.

http://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/wa ... -scarface/

The finish on that neck, though, looks rather...unfortunate. I've just never been a fan of that MIM finish; don't know why they don't go with something more like the Classic Player necks.
As far as the finish on the neck, it feels a bit more substantial than some of the other satin finished necks I've come across, but if you prefer gloss, I'd recommend playing it before buying one to see if you like it or not. It actually feels pretty darned good to me, and I like the fact that they decided to finish the headstock face in a gloss finish instead of satin like the back of the neck.

Overall, the whole guitar looks and feels a bit more "pro" than some of the Squiers. It's not a huge difference, but I think it's a better quality instrument than say the Squier VM Jaguar, which I also reviewed when they first came out.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-re ... ied-jaguar
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

have you played a Squier Classic Vive Duo? How does it compare in feel, weight, sound?
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

Yes I have. I know a lot of people who really liked them too but I wasn't as crazy about them... unrounded fretboard edges aside, I think the neck is nicer on the Mustang. It just feels better in my hand. Finish looks cooler too IMHO. Weight - couldn't really say... I never weighted a CV Duo Sonic. I don't recall them being overly heavy. The Mustang weighs a bit over seven pounds (7 lb 4 oz IIRC - it's in the review), so it's pretty light, although not quite as light as my personal Duo Sonic II (a '75 Music Master that a buddy of mine at the Fender CS and I converted to a DSII). Another BIG advantage the Mustang 90 has is the bridge - it's a six saddle / thru body unit, as opposed to the CV Duo's three saddle top loader. It intonates better. And finally, the pickups... if you're looking for traditional single coils you may dig the CV, but I think the MP-90s give the Mustang 90 a heavier, meatier sound.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Nice review.

Sharp fretboard edges puts it straight in the bin for me. It's the main reason I couldn't get on with the Squier Jag I had, and one of the things I love the most about the CV Duo Sonic. Shame, as I thought I might snag one of these once they go on blowout.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

gusman2x wrote:Sharp fretboard edges puts it straight in the bin for me. It's the main reason I couldn't get on with the Squier Jag I had, and one of the things I love the most about the CV Duo Sonic. Shame, as I thought I might snag one of these once they go on blowout.
15 minutes with the right file and this isn't an issue tho
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dylanafghjkl

Post by dylanafghjkl »

I thought these were only okay when i first saw them but they're starting to grow on me a lot. Looks like a great guitar for the price
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

doog said it. get a nice fine file and run it along the edge of the neck. its more common with rosewood fretboards as they have a tendency to shrink or expand with age and climate conditions.