New Squiers

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

any interesting acoustics back there?
dots wrote:incesticide
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Something does look like a replacement(?) for the discontinued Ron Emory slope-shoulder, but I could be wrong...
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

That blue Mustang with fixed bridge looks very nice! But I already bought another Squier Jaguar with fixed bridge for only 250 euros new.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Has anyone tried one of the Mustangs yet?

The spec is a bit vague, is this true short scale, or does it use a conversion neck? Worth knowing for future mods.

I picked up a couple of Gibson mini humbuckers and thought this could be the ideal guitar for them, considering £115.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

According to Thomann the scale length is 628mm, which is 24.75" (ish).

Not sure if that's definitely correct though as most places don't have the full specs.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

BearBoy wrote:According to Thomann the scale length is 628mm, which is 24.75" (ish).

Not sure if that's definitely correct though as most places don't have the full specs.
And Anderton's says they're alder, while most sites say basswood.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Fran wrote:Has anyone tried one of the Mustangs yet?

The spec is a bit vague, is this true short scale, or does it use a conversion neck? Worth knowing for future mods.

I picked up a couple of Gibson mini humbuckers and thought this could be the ideal guitar for them, considering £115.
I have ordered one from Anderton's that is arriving tomorrow apparently, so I shall get the ol' measuring stick out and give it a measure. If it's not 24" I may send it back as I'm hoping to tinker a little with this guitar and slap on a '65 mustang neck I have.

My plan is to route out the guitar for a jag trem and bridge. Even if the guitar isn't true 24", will it be fine for me to route the body as if it is and then use my 24" neck?

Found this too:

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by GreenKnee on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Checked around a number of other websites and a couple of others (Gear4Music, Coda Music) are saying it's 24.75".

Will be interesting to hear what it actually is when you get yours.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

GreenKnee wrote:
Fran wrote:Has anyone tried one of the Mustangs yet?

I have ordered one from Anderton's that is arriving tomorrow apparently, so I shall get the ol' measuring stick out and give it a measure. If it's not 24" I may send it back as I'm hoping to tinker a little with this guitar and slap on a '65 mustang neck I have.

My plan is to route out the guitar for a jag trem and bridge. Even if the guitar isn't true 24", will it be fine for me to route the body as if it is and then use my 24" neck?

Found this too:

[youtube][/youtube]
Thanks, I'll check the video later.

My thoughts exactly on dropping a 65 neck on there. It may not need an upgrade for all I know but the 65 is may favourite all time neck, so the option would be nice.

24.75" is Gibson scale, WTF?! *amber*
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

They had Affinity Cyclones a couple of years back, I can see that they are using the same templates(or just CNC setups) to make the same necks for this guitar
Apparently they don't want a competition with these new Mex hardtail Mustangs.
Last edited by sunshiner on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Also, Mustang body is too thin to put a Jag tremolo
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

sunshiner wrote:Also, Mustang body is too thin to put a Jag tremolo
I could be wrong but mustangs are 1 1/2" thick and the route for the trem wants to be 1 3/8", so I should have 1/8" or 3mm to play with. If not I may just go through and put a plate on the back or sumthin.

Looking at the pickguard and bridge pickup there may not be enough room to move the bridge forward 3/4" to accommodate my '65 neck... it is arriving tomorrow with UPS so I shall see then!

If anyone wants to know anything about it let me know and I'll dish out the details :)

Jack
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

sunshiner wrote:Also, Mustang body is too thin to put a Jag tremolo

Which also reminds me...I'm curious if Bilinda's custom jobbie was made from Fender-sanctioned parts.

George

Post by George »

My brat has a mustang thickness body and a jag trem at official depth. It's routed very thin only in a small spot where the spring sits which I did myself because addaminsane advised not to at first - 3mm is crazy and I might paint some epoxy or something over the spot to strengthen it. Also you wouldn't technically need to have the jag trem at official depth, it'd still work well.

I always thought Belinda 's looked a little thicker than a standard Mustang (could be wrong), though, and a bit of a bodge job. Not really very keen on how it came together.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I've read somewhere a guy complaining that he had unusually thin body on his Jaguar. It was 42mm and the bottom of the tremolo routing was frighteningly thin.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

They should make a Les Paul special with P90s, proper roller bridge tune-o-matic and Jag tremolo
George

Post by George »

I'm actually worried I'll let someone play it some day and they'll wig out on the trem instead ofmy usual shoegazey or subtle vintage stuff and it'll be the end of it
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

If they wreck it, you will clean the edges of the hole and put some cool shaped plate upon it with vent-slits for vibes
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Just had a quick play on the Bullet Mustang. First thoughts are; it is really light, the fretboard is very flat, fit and finish is fine, toploading bridge is an interesting surprise.

It feels good to play. I can't help but compare it to my first electric, an affinity strat. The minimal varnish on the neck feels like an oiled snooker cue, not the most amazing feeling neck but totally ok. No sharp fret ends, as much buzz as you'd expect from 9s on the short scale length, and the plastic dots are slightly yellow.

I measured from nut to string saddle and it was bang on 24". Unsure how to tell if it is a conversion neck, but I think the length of the first fret is larger than on my true 24" Jaguar, but I would have to check to be sure.

Plugged in it is very loud, and the humbuckers, again, are totally ok. This is my only humbucker guitar and I am biased towards single coils, but the middle position sounds very useable, while the bridge and neck don't seem to have much spark to them.

For £115 I am honestly chuffed with how good the guitar is. If needed I could take this out with me for a month or so of gigs and would have no worries about it packing in on me.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

GreenKnee wrote:Just had a quick play on the Bullet Mustang. First thoughts are; it is really light, the fretboard is very flat, fit and finish is fine, toploading bridge is an interesting surprise.

It feels good to play. I can't help but compare it to my first electric, an affinity strat. The minimal varnish on the neck feels like an oiled snooker cue, not the most amazing feeling neck but totally ok. No sharp fret ends, as much buzz as you'd expect from 9s on the short scale length, and the plastic dots are slightly yellow.

I measured from nut to string saddle and it was bang on 24". Unsure how to tell if it is a conversion neck, but I think the length of the first fret is larger than on my true 24" Jaguar, but I would have to check to be sure.

Plugged in it is very loud, and the humbuckers, again, are totally ok. This is my only humbucker guitar and I am biased towards single coils, but the middle position sounds very useable, while the bridge and neck don't seem to have much spark to them.

For £115 I am honestly chuffed with how good the guitar is. If needed I could take this out with me for a month or so of gigs and would have no worries about it packing in on me.
Thanks for your thoughts chap.

Very tempted...