New Squiers

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

GreenKnee wrote:Just had a quick play on the Bullet Mustang. First thoughts are; it is really light, the fretboard is very flat, fit and finish is fine, toploading bridge is an interesting surprise.

It feels good to play. I can't help but compare it to my first electric, an affinity strat. The minimal varnish on the neck feels like an oiled snooker cue, not the most amazing feeling neck but totally ok. No sharp fret ends, as much buzz as you'd expect from 9s on the short scale length, and the plastic dots are slightly yellow.

I measured from nut to string saddle and it was bang on 24". Unsure how to tell if it is a conversion neck, but I think the length of the first fret is larger than on my true 24" Jaguar, but I would have to check to be sure.

Plugged in it is very loud, and the humbuckers, again, are totally ok. This is my only humbucker guitar and I am biased towards single coils, but the middle position sounds very useable, while the bridge and neck don't seem to have much spark to them.

For £115 I am honestly chuffed with how good the guitar is. If needed I could take this out with me for a month or so of gigs and would have no worries about it packing in on me.
Pics? Is the back flat or with a cut?

Also, to get a good scale measurement, measure from the end of the nut to the middle (top) of the 12th fret. Should be 12" exactly.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

I apologise for my terrible photography skills :roll:

The body is exactly 1 3/8", so for a jag trem route I shall have to go all the way through and then use a back plate. There is a tummy cut ((ice))

My access to the long steel rule has been taken away for the day as it is being used for manly work but I will measure again with Fakir Mustache's tips when I am able to do so :)
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Looks great!
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

omg I need this
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

The blue looks better close up.

Good score.
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Fran wrote:The blue looks better close up.

Good score.
It's got some metallic sparkle to it that I forgot to mention. I got the blue purely on robroe's comment saying that it's a proper squier colour. Black's fine, but full, right?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks supernice, congrats!
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

They had an Affinity Telecaster for a while in that finish, no loger available unfortunately:
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

my eyes!!!!!!!!

someone fucking save me from the white neck ????!!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

seriously how much does a fucking can of amber tint cost ? 6 bucks ?
dots wrote:incesticide
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

GreenKnee wrote:J measured from nut to string saddle and it was bang on 24". Unsure how to tell if it is a conversion neck, but I think the length of the first fret is larger than on my true 24" Jaguar, but I would have to check to be sure.
These are up on Fender's website now but they seem to have ballsed up the specs:
NECK
  • Neck Material 1-Piece Maple
    Neck Finish Satin
    Neck Shape "C" Shape
    Scale Length 24.75" (628 mm)
    Fingerboard Material Rosewood
    Fingerboard Radius 12" (305 mm)
    Fret Size Medium Jumbo
    Nut Material Plastic
    Nut Width 1.650" (42 mm)
    Position Inlays White Dot
    Truss Rod Vintage-Style
    Truss Rod Nut Hex
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dylanafghjkl

Post by dylanafghjkl »

ultratwin wrote:
sunshiner wrote:Also, Mustang body is too thin to put a Jag tremolo

Which also reminds me...I'm curious if Bilinda's custom jobbie was made from Fender-sanctioned parts.

The bilinda stang is custom build from the ground up afaik. Full scale as well I think.

Also re: the bullet stang, looks way nicer on its own than next to other guitars, think a jag trem would look really cool on it as well as making it 24" would fix both of the things that I don't particularly like about it
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

GreenKnee wrote: Looking at the pickguard and bridge pickup there may not be enough room to move the bridge forward 3/4" to accommodate my '65 neck...
No, most of the scale length is on the neck, so the difference would only be about 1/4". You can measure the correct distance if you have an extra Mustang or Jag, just measure that exactly.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

24" is a full scale 25.5" neck without the first fret. I always thought why Fender didn't make it the easier way where you can load all the different bodies with two types of interchangable necks - a 24" neck with 20 frets(+1 on the tail a la 22 frets strat neck) and a 25.5" neck with 21 fret
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

^ Pretty sure they did that with the newest short scale Strats / Teles. (Except those also have smaller bodies.) But I for one think it's nice have 22 frets instead of 20.

So, 24.75" and 12" radius...recycled Squier Cyclone necks perhaps?
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

I thought they (the Mustang HH) was24"? It's listed as 610mm which converts to just over 24".
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fender website says 24.75" / 628mm but Greenknee measured his at 24".
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i thought the squier cyclone necks were conversion necks.... i have one that has been kicking around the shop for about 7 years. I really need to do something with is since its not a bad neck at all, and a decent finish would be worth it.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

dylanafghjkl wrote:
ultratwin wrote:
sunshiner wrote:Also, Mustang body is too thin to put a Jag tremolo

Which also reminds me...I'm curious if Bilinda's custom jobbie was made from Fender-sanctioned parts.

The bilinda stang is custom build from the ground up afaik. Full scale as well I think.

Also re: the bullet stang, looks way nicer on its own than next to other guitars, think a jag trem would look really cool on it as well as making it 24" would fix both of the things that I don't particularly like about it

Thomann do a cheap version of that^

http://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_m ... 1486644011
XY
HNB

Post by HNB »

I saw a white HH Jazzmaster for $200 on ebay and couldn't resist. With the guitars I have let go the past couple weeks, I had enough for the bills and to pick up one of these. I wonder why all the others were almost $500? What is the MSRP for these?