you can dive with a mustang trem without detuning

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Johnny Noir

you can dive with a mustang trem without detuning

Post by Johnny Noir »

mine is absolutely lovely:

i think most of you here knows how it's a mustang well set up.
i see a lot on the internet who lock the trem, add hotrails, etc... and play nirvana songs... for me it's not a mustang anymore. That trem is awesome and very different from the jaguar. and i prefer single coils.

(however, i'm a nirvana fan since almost 25 years)
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

nice stang, cool video
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Cool Video. Also like the mustang trem - but prefer the jagtrem. And i like humbucker in mustangs. With the 3wayslider you can split it and you are on single sound. REALLY awesome on mustangs is the out-of-phase sound :-)
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

I really like your comparison video between the Mustang - Jag - Jazzmaster. I appreciate that you don't blather on for 30489928345 minutes before playing for 2.
Hell is other people.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

after i did mad-mike setup nevermore my jag-stang went out of tune
Precise dwarf bravery
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?!

Seriously, that sounds great. I really like the Mustang I used to own, but never worked out how to stop it going out of tune. The slightest hint of use from the reverb handle just ruined the tuning completely.

I'm not sure whether I was making any one particular mistake, or whether there was a general lack of understanding on my part. It doesn't have the same "feel" as a JM/Jag trem, but the tightness, sensitivity and "bounce" of the Mustang trem was a nice change for me. If only it actually worked properly. :(
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

8)
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Concretebadger wrote:I'm not sure whether I was making any one particular mistake, or whether there was a general lack of understanding on my part. It doesn't have the same "feel" as a JM/Jag trem, but the tightness, sensitivity and "bounce" of the Mustang trem was a nice change for me. If only it actually worked properly. :(
Where is the link to the right setup?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

this is a great thread. thanks for sharing, johnny!
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

that blog is good: http://musicwrench.blogspot.fr/2009/10/ ... setup.html

for me; i equilibrate the cigar tube, most people tighten it too much.
verify your neck nut holes, it must allow the strings to move, sometimes with big gauge stringes the holes can be too small.
use at least 11's strings.
when you tune your guitar, give several vibrato actions and retune, and do again until it's stable tuning.

i will make a detail picture later
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

Johnny Noir wrote:that blog is good: http://musicwrench.blogspot.fr/2009/10/ ... setup.html

verify your neck nut holes, it must allow the strings to move, sometimes with big gauge stringes the holes can be too small.
when you tune your guitar, give several vibrato actions and retune, and do again until it's stable tuning.

The setup in that guide you linked to does not really allow for much vibrato use. You can only dive in one direction and your vibrato arm winds up pointing out in an awkward angle.

I think icey was referring to this set up guide on jagstang:Vibrato set up
dylanafghjkl

Post by dylanafghjkl »

I just don't think I'll ever get used to my mustang trem, only thing I miss about my other offsets.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

chemistforhire wrote:
Johnny Noir wrote:that blog is good: http://musicwrench.blogspot.fr/2009/10/ ... setup.html

The setup in that guide you linked to does not really allow for much vibrato use. You can only dive in one direction and your vibrato arm winds up pointing out in an awkward angle.

I think icey was referring to this set up guide on jagstang:Vibrato set up
that guide is better

on mine i use the "neutral" (equilibrium) position as he calls
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

I use 9s. I don't use the arm. I have the cigar tube with a healthy margin under it. When I need vibrato, I pull or push on the tube with the palm. I hit the cigar tube when the guitar seems out of tune and it puts the guitar back in tune. After a while, you learn exactly where the correct tuning is and can find it pretty easily.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.