Squier VM Mustangs: talk to me

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Squier VM Mustangs: talk to me

Post by Doog »

So, I saw this and just about shit myself.

If I can convince myself that I can 'do' shortscales again with my big gangly hands (plus some heavyass strings), I'm gonna look at picking up one of those Squiers, preferably used, and get it close to that.

Anyone have any direct experience with 'em? Fit and finish, stock pickups, tuners, vibrato usability?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I had one I got as part of a trade or something (mainly just to check it out). At first I was blown away by it buy that was just new gear blindness.

It was average. The neck was OK but not as nice as the other VM stuff I've played, the fretboard was dyed (probs to cover up cheap materials) fretwork was decent as with all the VM stuff tho needed a polish, pickups were already changed on it so I'm not sure about those, paint was really thick, all the parts from scratchplate to hardware from tuners to trem was cheap and flimsy like the super cheap stuff you can buy on Amazon, cheap wiring issues aaaaaaand when I took the neck off to give it a setup the neck pocket revealed really shitty quality wood that was very soft and the body join was awful.

Saying that they do pop up for sale super cheap and would make a good modding platform. I'd stay away from them at newish prices as with the cost of replacing the tuners and everything else you could get a decent Japanese one second hand.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I forgot to say it was actually put together well, neck aligned and everything screwed in where it was supposed to be. The neck had some mass to it so wasn't too skinny. I expect you'd be able to wrangle it without cramping up.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

They have basswood bodies as far as I know, so yes basswood is a soft wood. I remember also somebody told here that unlike Fenders they have jumbo frets and that makes even less space between frets on a shortscale
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

0. The one you posted has the back contour and is not the droid you're looking for.
1. Nice finish, but not the standard for Mustangs. The red is a bit brighter, the blue a bit brighter, the white creamier. Weighs more than the usual Fenders, mine came in at 7 lbs. something, so not a heavy guitar but not super light.
2. Pickups are higher output than normal. Bridge gives nice distortion, neck pickup can give a good thick jazzy sound clean.
3. Tuners, never had any problems with them.
4. The reverb handle is bent and much nicer than the straight Japanese one (although they also made some curved ones and called them "vintage snob series" or something like that, according to online translation). Although it may depend on your reverb handling style which you prefer.

5. Bridge sucks.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i have the VM Jag, so can't vouch for the mustang per se, but beyond the comedically bad bridge i haven't had any problems with the hardware or electrics. the nut feels like it's made from recycled egg cartons or something but i haven't bothered to change it yet.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I had a red one and liked it alot. Mine had a wonky neck though. So try before you buy etc.

Had a tune o matic and a bone nut installed and it was wayyyy better then.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Try before you buy is a must. When I bought my bass VI there was a bunch of them in the shop and all of them had issues apart from the one I bought.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i bought mine in a shop as well, now you mention it.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

stewart wrote:comedically bad bridge
omg when I was gigging with a VM Jag I literally had to take an allen key to every show
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

one thing i'll say in defence of that bridge- if you want an ultra trashy, garbage sound (as i sometimes do) it does it really well. i think i've kept hold of one of those bridges for recording purposes, there's a setting on the little fender mustang amp that suits it perfectly.
George

Post by George »

- Horrid bridge
- Mine had a horrid neck (thick, fat, poor fret dressing)
- Pickups were pretty bad
- Wiring and under the hood was sloppy/shite

Spend a lot of time with one before buying. Way different to Classic Vibes.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Had to wrap the bridge posts, shim the neck, raise the bridge,and put 11's on it before the bridge became manageable and not a rattling mess. I really liked the neck on mine. No issues whatsoever with frets and the chunky neck was a welcome change of the same old generic cheap Fender feel. No complaints with the finish other than the blue was lighter than I would have liked. Bridge post hole was sloppily drilled on the bass side. Fun guitar for the money, great for tinkering, not so great it you want a new guitar to be set up and working well out of the box
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i tried one side by side with the new olive green mexican army stang and it was better by about 9384523094832094823094823094823498 percent

the neck on that green thing was fucking hellish garbage
dots wrote:incesticide
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Buy a ltd instead
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Noirie. wrote:Buy a ltd instead
because no one will know the difference:
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Noirie. wrote:Buy a ltd instead
Now that's the kind of advice I was after

Thanks for the deets, my dudes. Gonna swing by some shops over my 4-day weekend and see how it plays as a start with all that info in mind; I guess it's all by the by if I can't get on with the scale etc.
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

Don't really know why anybody would plonk down monies on the new generation of mustangs, the china Mexico Indonesia factories have the modern equipment and cnc machinery, but they are building to a price point, and they are building with cheaper woods.

There is 30 years of building mustangs from Japan, and they are still pretty cheap second hand. I recently picked up a US 1975 mustang pretty cheaply and was very surprised just how close it was to my 2012 mij mustang in build quality and neck feel.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Darth Stang wrote:Don't really know why anybody would plonk down monies on the new generation of mustangs, the china Mexico Indonesia factories have the modern equipment and cnc machinery, but they are building to a price point, and they are building with cheaper woods.

There is 30 years of building mustangs from Japan, and they are still pretty cheap second hand. I recently picked up a US 1975 mustang pretty cheaply and was very surprised just how close it was to my 2012 mij mustang in build quality and neck feel.
The Japanese also substituted basswood for poplar and ash at times.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Darth Stang wrote:Don't really know why anybody would plonk down monies on the new generation of mustangs
They're cheaper